What's new

VyprVPN WireGuard Configuration on GT-AX6000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SvartCobra

New Around Here
Hi all

I just saw that Merlin released 388.1 with the ability to use WireGuard. Here comes 2 issues

Background : I am using OpenVPN for particular devices (Using VPN Director) with VyprVPN profiles to enable particular devices traffic to transmit in secured way. With the use of WireGuard, I believe that the throughput will be better than OpenVPN.

Q1. I saw that there is a import box which can upload a file to the router and shorten the configuration time. I searched the entire VyprVPN support page and no matching result. I also started a conversation with Live Support, they claimed that no support for Asus Merlin router for using VyprVPN under WireGuard. That's why I approached here to see what else I can do.

Q2. I am not very professional in VPN stuffs. I have seen through the articles here mentioning WireGuard setup is "site to site" only. Instead of what I am using in OpenVPN with VyprVPN [connect the next hope to some country server to the internet], it seems that WireGuard in router is for site to site only. However, when I am using the VyprVPN client, that is not the same. It is one of the connection method to access the internet. So, what is the exact case in Merlin router ?

Thanks and Good Day !!

Hi all

I just saw that Merlin released 388.1 with the ability to use WireGuard. Here comes 2 issues

Background : I am using OpenVPN for particular devices (Using VPN Director) with VyprVPN profiles to enable particular devices traffic to transmit in secured way. With the use of WireGuard, I believe that the throughput will be better than OpenVPN.

Q1. I saw that there is a import box which can upload a file to the router and shorten the configuration time. I searched the entire VyprVPN support page and no matching result. I also started a conversation with Live Support, they claimed that no support for Asus Merlin router for using VyprVPN under WireGuard. That's why I approached here to see what else I can do.
Apparently (even after two years?) there were/are requests to VyprVPN from their subscribers for VyprVPN to publish their Wireguard configuration files but to no avail.

Unlike their OpenVPN configs, they seemingly adamantly wish to enforce use of ONLY their VyprVPN app (on selected platforms) for WireGuard connections.
(This is similar to NordVPN with their proprietary NordLynx WireGuard app, but there is a link on the forum to a HOWTO describing the necessary steps to extract/reveal the necessary '.conf' from their app.)
Q2. I am not very professional in VPN stuffs. I have seen through the articles here mentioning WireGuard setup is "site to site" only. Instead of what I am using in OpenVPN with VyprVPN [connect the next hope to some country server to the internet], it seems that WireGuard in router is for site to site only. However, when I am using the VyprVPN client, that is not the same. It is one of the connection method to access the internet. So, what is the exact case in Merlin router ?
You use the AllowedIPs = directive to ultimately control which routes are allowed/accessible over the Wireguard interface.

So normally for a 'client' Peer that is connected to a remote 'server' Peer (such as Mullvad or Torguard etc.) the default is normally

Code:
[Peer]
AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0, ::0/0
which means you can access ANY IPv4/IPv6 target via this tunnel, if the LAN device is defined to (implicitly/explicitly) use the Wireguard interface.

For a site-to-site WireGuard config (any platform), you would explicitly ONLY allow the IPs or subnets reachable behind/downstream of the 'server' Peer

e.g.
Code:
[Peer]
AllowedIPs = 10.0.0.0/24, fd08:4711::/64, 192.168.2.0/24

Last edited: