What's new

Wait For Asus 6E Router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ken Firch

Occasional Visitor
I'm looking to replace my RT-AC86U router. I'm looking at either the RT-AX86U Pro or GT-AX6000.

But, does ASUS have a WiFi 6E in the pipeline? If so, should I just wait? Or settle for WiFi 6 for the next few years?

Thanks!

Asus already has a couple of routers with WiFi6e. The thing that 6e pretty much dictates that the devices need to be Tri-band and so sit at pretty high price points.
A router that did 6GHz but not 5GHz would have limited appeal!

There's already a handful of WIFI7 devices out in the wild which is faster. 6E only adds 6ghz not more bandwidth. 5/6/6e are all capped at 160mhz of bandwidth and WIIF7 is 320mhz and could get you up to ~3gbps on a single client.

The Asus WiFi 6E router to consider is the GT-AXE16000.

The best Asus WiFi 6 router today is the GT-AX6000.

Never heard of B&H, and Newegg is sold out of the RT-AX88u and GT-AX6000, both. That said, B&H is selling that GT-AX6000 for almost $100 less than Amazon right now. I'll take it! Thanks for the head's up!

B&H is reputable, based in NYC, been around for a long time, stopped in the store once as it is near my company's office. Bought plenty of stuff from them over the years.

The only slight catch with them is that the owner and many employees are Hasidic Jews, so the store is closed and you can't place online orders Friday night and Saturdays, and during most Jewish holidays, supposedly something about having to shut down the systems physically in the store which receive/print the orders (or that may just be hearsay and it is just them being overly observant of the rules). You will just see a countdown timer until you can add to cart/place order again. Never understood why they couldn't just batch the orders and let you know they won't be processed until Saturday night, I suspect it is their way of saying "you shouldn't be using a computer now so we aren't going to let you". No I'm not anti-Semitic but if you've ever been to NYC you know the Hasidics there can be pretty pushy.

B&H is reputable, based in NYC, been around for a long time, stopped in the store once as it is near my company's office. Bought plenty of stuff from them over the years.

The only slight catch with them is that the owner and many employees are Hasidic Jews, so the store is closed and you can't place online orders Friday night and Saturdays, and during most Jewish holidays, supposedly something about having to shut down the systems physically in the store which receive/print the orders (or that may just be hearsay and it is just them being overly observant of the rules). You will just see a countdown timer until you can add to cart/place order again. Never understood why they couldn't just batch the orders and let you know they won't be processed until Saturday night, I suspect it is their way of saying "you shouldn't be using a computer now so we aren't going to let you". No I'm not anti-Semitic but if you've ever been to NYC you know the Hasidics there can be pretty pushy.
I have purchased several things from them over the years and have always been happy with each transaction.

On the client end... 6E is useless. Same with (high) 5G UNII-4. Most of its current use case is wireless backhaul.

Hardware RND favors cheaper hardware, hence why you still see 2.4G N and 5G AC clients everywhere, 4-5 years into the WIFI6 generation.

Yes a handful of 6E clients exist, but you're better off just running a wired backhaul with multiple routers.. AC W2 or AX.. Ensuring you have max PHY per area. You cannot beat Physics.

160mhz enabled will increase throughput on both.

I can only see it being relevant if you're in a very dense area and you're willing to spend the money to avoid congestion on specific devices as sort of an early adoption benefit.

Edit:

FYI: Both the TP-Link AXE16000 and ASUS AXE160000 are rated around 400mW power on the 6ghz band. Don't really see this working out well as a single solution.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!