What's new

WAN and wireless configuration lost after reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

redraiderj

Occasional Visitor
This thread is a sequel of my previous post(https://www.snbforums.com/threads/u...ing-on-rt-ax88u-with-384-15_0-firmware.62441/). In that post, my IPv6 setting will lost after reboot. Today I restore factory default to fix this issue, but it just make it worse. Now my WAN and wireless configuration disappears after reboot, and I have to go through wizard to configure them again every time I reboot. But the weird part is that during the wizard steps, my WAN's username and password will be auto populated while the wireless settings are totally gone. Then I try to flash latest official firmware, 384.14 and 384.13 but the issue stays. I'm very frustrated now so if someone can help it would be really appreciated.

Seems you have a possible issue with a browser and/or cache and maybe even a password app that is auto-filling at inopportune times?

I don't feel that the router is being fully reset either. :)

Seems you have a possible issue with a browser and/or cache and maybe even a password app that is auto-filling at inopportune times?

I don't feel that the router is being fully reset either. :)
It's definitely not a browser or password app issue, because I configure from my laptop, and I can still see the password populated with my phone's browser. How can I fully reset the device? I tried to reset from web ui and from pushing the reset button for 30 seconds.

If a field is being populated when you browse a web page, as far as I know this is ALWAYS done at the client level i.e. the browser. Depending on the browser in question it could be built in autofill or an extension.
It's definitely not a browser or password app issue, because I configure from my laptop, and I can still see the password populated with my phone's browser.
if you are using Chrome and have logged in to chrome, user credentials, bookmarks and a lot of information is passed behind the scenes between all your devices you are logged in to (see the "sync" option in chrome for more detail). I'm sure other browsers do that too, but I use only chrome.

If a field is being populated when you browse a web page, as far as I know this is ALWAYS done at the client level i.e. the browser. Depending on the browser in question it could be built in autofill or an extension.
if you are using Chrome and have logged in to chrome, user credentials, bookmarks and a lot of information is passed behind the scenes between all your devices you are logged in to (see the "sync" option in chrome for more detail). I'm sure other browsers do that too, but I use only chrome.
I never use autofill and I disable them all the time, both the Chrome on my laptop and the Safari on my phone, and even if it's autofill, there is no way credentials are shared between my company laptop's Chrome, which is managed by my organization with saved password feature disabled, and my personal phone's safari. Today I try many different firmware and now the credentials are not populated during wizard steps, although the issue is still there.

Thanks. Today I try to flash many different firmware, including Asuswrt-Merlin, official builds and some custom builds based on Asuswrt-Merlin, and every time I flash a new firmware, I restore factory default first and then unplug the charger from the wall, wait for 10 or 15 minutes, and re-configure the router. In some builds the issue is different, for example all other settings can be saved but local IP address cannot be changed from 192.168.50.1 to 10.0.0.1, and in some builds the format jffs option can't be set to Y. But there is one thing in common: part of the configuration cannot be permanently saved. Now I have to use my old RT-AC68U, and it's working perfectly. I will try again maybe next weekend, see if things will be different if it's fully powered off for a couple of days.

@redraiderj I hope the replacement is fully working for you. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!