What's new

WAN DNS Settings: AdGuard, Ad block

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

orudie

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone!

RT-AX86U Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.388_20566

I configured WAN DNS Setting with:

Filter Mode: Ad block
Service Name: AdGuard
DNS Server: 94.140.14.14, 94.140.15.15

However, the ads are still there on all my LAN clients such as Windows PC with Opera browser even with the "Prevent client auto DoH = yes".

The only way I can get the ads to go away is by specifying DNS servers in Windows network configuration settings.

Is there a way to enforce all my LAN clients to strictly use the DNS servers I specified in my router's WAN DNS settings?

Below are my current settings:

kcK9rh5.png

Your clients are not using AdGuard. You have enabled DNS-over-TLS so the servers shown there (Surfnet and Google) are overriding the WAN DNS servers.

You can use AdGuard with DoT but it needs to be a manual entry:

In the DNS over TLS Server list enter the 94.140.14.14 in the box under IP Address. In the box under TLS Hostname enter: dns.adguard-dns.com Leave the pther two boxes blank then add the entry to the list.
Do the same for the 94.140.14.14 with dns.adguard-dns.com

It will work!

adguard-dot.jpg

You can use AdGuard with DoT but it needs to be a manual entry:

In the DNS over TLS Server list enter the 94.140.14.14 in the box under IP Address. In the box under TLS Hostname enter: dns.adguard-dns.com Leave the pther two boxes blank then add the entry to the list.
Do the same for the 94.140.14.14 with dns.adguard-dns.com

It will work!

View attachment 44817

I enabled dns-over-tls, and manually specified dns server addresses just like you showed me. But I still see adds when playing youtube videos on my Samsung TV on Youtube app. I am not sure if it is even possible to get rid of ads from the YouTube applications in all of my LAN clients such as smartphones, tablets, and TVs. If it is possible to achieve with routers dns configurations, please let me know.

I enabled dns-over-tls, and manually specified dns server addresses just like you showed me. But I still see adds when playing youtube videos on my Samsung TV on Youtube app. I am not sure if it is even possible to get rid of ads from the YouTube applications in all of my LAN clients such as smartphones, tablets, and TVs. If it is possible to achieve with routers dns configurations, please let me know.
Likely the TV uses its own DNS settings which are hard coded in. Use the Asus phone app and use it to set the TV Safe Browsing to Add Block. Under Device touch the device name to see Safe Browsing.

Youtube serves ads from the same domains as their content, so it's very difficult to block via dns. One way to block it is in browser, with uBlock origin.

As ad blocking via DNS lists becomes more popular, I'd expect that more apps serve up ads in a manner that makes it harder to block by 'building the ads into the app' and not requiring external domain lookups.

Likely the TV uses its own DNS settings which are hard coded in. Use the Asus phone app and use it to set the TV Safe Browsing to Add Block. Under Device touch the device name to see Safe Browsing.
This is great ! But can't find it. Do you have screenshot ?
Thanks

This is great ! But can't find it. Do you have screenshot ?
Thanks
Are you looking in the Asus Router app in your smart phone? I suspect you cannot find it because the client names are showing up as MAC addresses in the list of devices. It really helps if you rename your LAN clients to the names which make sense to you. This is what I did.

Anyway, this does not remove ads from youtube on my Samsung TV. I would not care so much about the stupid ads if my 4 year old son could skip them when he is watching cartoons.

WbuPcL1.jpg

KP4MobO.jpg

Do you have AiProtect enabled? Is the phone app up to date?

Are you looking in the Asus Router app in your smart phone? I suspect you cannot find it because the client names are showing up as MAC addresses in the list of devices. It really helps if you rename your LAN clients to the names which make sense to you. This is what I did.

Anyway, this does not remove ads from youtube on my Samsung TV. I would not care so much about the stupid ads if my 4 year old son could skip them when he is watching cartoons.

WbuPcL1.jpg

KP4MobO.jpg
this not work for yt from smart tv's. (LG)
but i have other question...
why this feature is not avaible in normal router webgui. ? Now we have some features in one places and rest features in other places ?
Nonsense

Before upgrading my AX88U to my new GT-AX6000, i was using adguard dns and successfully blocking most of the ads. After upgrading to this new router and running the latest merlin version, seems like the DNS is not blocking any ads anymore. Could anyone help me with this? See below the current configuration:
1687428527907.png

Before upgrading my AX88U to my new GT-AX6000, i was using adguard dns and successfully blocking most of the ads. After upgrading to this new router and running the latest merlin version, seems like the DNS is not blocking any ads anymore. Could anyone help me with this? See below the current configuration:
View attachment 51200
In Merlin firmware enable Lan/DNS Director to filter mode Router. And make sure the client browsers do not have DoH enabled. Installing Diversion and using the Steve Black Blocking Lost is also a good way to clip adds. Most of them, anyway.

In Merlin firmware enable Lan/DNS Director to filter mode Router. And make sure the client browsers do not have DoH enabled. Installing Diversion and using the Steve Black Blocking Lost is also a good way to clip adds. Most of them, anyway.
Thank you, i didn't know I had to enable DNS Director as well. Will git it a try to this. I have also read about adguard home and Diversion. Which one is best to block adverts? Thank you

Thank you, i didn't know I had to enable DNS Director as well. Will git it a try to this. I have also read about adguard home and Diversion. Which one is best to block adverts? Thank you
I would not use AdGuard Home. I have tested Diversion and it works well. As I am using Asus firmware, for now I have set up a Pi-Hole on a RPI 3b+ using DoT to Quad9.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!