What's new

WAN DNS Settings Filter Mode: Family doesn’t work

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

As I stated in that prior post, by configuring the DHCP server as you did, BOTH the AdGuard DNS server and the router's DNS server (DNSMasq) are pushed to the client as possible DNS servers. From the perspective of the client, either one is just as qualified as the other to resolve domain names, whether local or public. It's entirely up to the client to choose which one they prefer. They may even use BOTH to increase throughput! If they chose the AdGuard IP, they lose local name resolution. If they chose the router's IP, they retain local name resolution, and are eventually routed through to the AdGuard server as necessary.

IOW, it may be working NOW, but over the long haul, w/ different types of clients, you may find it's NOT working. It's just like when you have two DHCP servers on the same network. You may get away w/ it initially provided the *good* DHCP server responds first, but sooner or later the other *bad* DHCP server will respond first, and then you're misconfigured.

You can eliminate this problem by simply NOT messing w/ the DHCP server. Just leave it to its defaults. Then all clients will ONLY receive the router's IP as their DNS server, thus retaining local name resolution, and DNSMasq will forward as necessary to the AdGuard server.
please simplify this by telling me that what changes i should do in my router settings? for example make changes in LAN>DHCP Server>DNS and WINS Server Setting etc.

please explain with proper correct setting example and another example step by step which is not correct.
Here are two prior posts of how I've configured Pi-Hole for use on my network. (edit to add: the second link has screen captures, I also use Unbound on my Pi's)

There is some discussion in the following two links about what happens when using Conditional Forwarding setting in the Pi-Hole and one puts the Pi-Hole into the WAN DNS field.

From Pi-Hole's own documentation re Asus router's.
ASUS was so kind to set up a FAQ how to configure their routers together with Pi-hole.

They offer two kinds of setup depending on your router's firmware version. On newer firmware they recommend setting Pi-hole as DNS server for the WAN connection and on older versions for LAN connections. However, we recommend to setup Pi-hole always as DNS server for your LAN! If you do so, Pi-hole's IP is distributed as DNS server via DHCP to your network clients. Each client will directly send their queries to Pi-hole and will be shown individually in Pi-hole's web interface. Additionally, you can use the group management features.
In my case I've had problems, twice, when using Pi-Hole in the WAN DNS fields and having Conditional Forwarding enabled within the Pi-Hole settings. Both times my local work crashed because it was flooded with DNS traffic from the Pi-Hole to the Router and back. Either not using Conditional Forwarding or not putting Pi-Hole into the WAN DNS field(s) was the solution. I chose to not use the WAN DNS fields since that's what Pi-Hole.net recommends in the link above.

please simplify this by telling me that what changes i should do in my router settings? for example make changes in LAN>DHCP Server>DNS and WINS Server Setting etc.

I know this may seem complicated, but it really isn't. It's no different than if you defined custom DNS servers on the WAN for 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. The fact your chosen DNS server is local to the router doesn't change anything.

You make 192.168.1.177 the one and only custom DNS server on the WAN. Then leave the DHCP server ALONE! Do NOT change it. Get rid of the reference to 192.168.1.177 in the DHCP server, and set Advertise router's IP ... to No.

IOW, the only thing you're changing is the WAN's DNS server(s). That's it. You're under the impression that it requires more, but it doesn't. It's that simple.

I know this may seem complicated, but it really isn't. It's no different than if you defined custom DNS servers on the WAN for 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. The fact your chosen DNS server is local to the router doesn't change anything.

You make 192.168.1.177 the one and only custom DNS server on the WAN. Then leave the DHCP server ALONE! Do NOT change it. Get rid of the reference to 192.168.1.177 in the DHCP server, and set Advertise router's IP ... to No.

IOW, the only thing you're changing is the WAN's DNS server(s). That's it. You're under the impression that it requires more, but it doesn't. It's that simple.
ok now i think everythig is correct and working after followed the instructions. how do i save the router settings (every single personalized options in router settings)? Administration > Restore/Save/Upload Setting > Router settings > Save Settings. what is Transfer ASUS DDNS name?

ok now i think everythig is correct and working after followed the instructions. how do i save the router settings (every single personalized options in router settings)? Administration > Restore/Save/Upload Setting > Router settings > Save Settings. what is Transfer ASUS DDNS name?

It's always a good idea to save both your settings and JFFS.

I don't use DDNS on the router, but I assume since you have to register your preferred DDNS name w/ ASUS, so each is unique, you have to use a formal process to de-register it w/ one device to register it w/ another.