What's new

wan fiber OLT Tx optical power question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jlodvo

Occasional Visitor
olt rx - Copy.jpg

hello i wanted to ask if my what is OLT Tx Optical Power, is it important cause the reference value should be 3 dBm to 7 dBm but current value is at 260.6 dBm , im having problems with my internet and its intermitent could this be the cause? techs from my isp is clueless to whats the problem, so would like to ask the experts here

thanks

What exactly is the problem? Don't try telling them what you think is the issue, let them send out a tech so he can fix it as he knows best.

While that Tx Optical Power looks off vs. the Reference Value, it may not mean anything in the real world.

Get a tech to come onsite and test each section of the connection from their equipment to yours.

problem here in my country the techs dont know whats the problem sadly, they have visited me 6 times already and all they can say they dont see any problem, they dont know, my internet connection is intermittent it will disapear ever now and then, the whole day, ive already tested everything on my end, and no problems here on my side, ive isolated my network and i have a 2nd isp as a back up its doesnt have problems, but my main isp would just say nothing wrong on thier side, so im trying to reseach more

my problem started more then 10 days ago till now, and the only thing i notice is a sudden jump in the ONT rx optical power, since my installation its was at -13 dBm and since the prob started it has jump to -20.86 but its still within range , but its a huge jump form -13 to -20 , but isp will just say its still within range

thats why im researching other thing that might have cause it , so i saw that the OLT is not in range but not sure if it has anything to do with my problem
here in my country isp doenst care, they will just close you ticket even if they didnt do anything to fix, thats why im trying to escalate it someone higher but i need to reseach also cause all they will say they dont see anything, no problem on thier end all the time

If you have a second ISP already, call the problem ISP and threaten to cancel your services with them. Be sure to follow through if they don't offer a fix, pronto.

If you have a second ISP already, call the problem ISP and threaten to cancel your services with them. Be sure to follow through if they don't offer a fix, pronto.
here it doent work like that, 3rd world country, also i need 2 isp just in case one goes down

back to researching

but its weird i do a steady ping test, with my pc and when the internet has no connection, my is ok, im pinging to random a dns server like 8.8.8.8 but ok it doesnt give a resquest time out, its just thiers no internet, cant load any page, like everything is just off, even phone says no internet connection, it will just come back like 1-2mins or somtimes 3mins and its random every now and then

Okay, I guess I don't know (enough) about how it is in your country.

But, what is so mission critical to need a second backup ISP in the first place, for 'guaranteed 24/7/365' internet? I certainly don't feel like I need it where I am (NA). Pre-Covid, I would regularly go camping for a few weeks/month + and leave all electronic gadgets at home. Yes, even the cell phone.

currently its for my kids we still dont have face to face class yet so everything is done online