What's new

WAN/LAN port assignment rant !

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yockers

New Around Here
Right, time to get this off my chest. :mad:

Why the @#^!% do SOHO router manufacturers insist on forcing which interface is the WAN interface and which is the LAN ?

If I buy a Cisco router, there's no limitation on which Ethernet NIC is used for what, so why should lower end routers ? Even Cisco do it on their smaller units..why why why ?

Make a router so that I can choose which NIC's are inside/LAN and which are outside/WAN. Give me 8 ports of Gigabit NICs and I'll configure them as I want. Inside/Outside/DMZ whatever.

Rant ends. @#^!%. :p

Well I have a Dual WAN router, but I got to thinking if every router had a flexible approach to how it's ports where used, then every router could be a multi-WAN router (given the right firmware etc etc).

It just seems....artificial to fix a perfectly good port into a single configuration. I'm buying the kit, so let me choose how it's setup.

I understand for the user-friendly non-techie market it's easier to have dedicated ports, but not for high spec kit such as Draytek's, Cisco's, Billion, etc.

Thanks for the explanation.

The dedicated approach lets manfs use switch chips to handle the LAN ports. This keeps cost down and load off the CPU.

Yeah, that figures. Hence "proper" routers being so much more. Still, the ranting made me feel better :)

Thanks for the response, and thanks for a great site..