What's new

WAN packet overhead - QoS - Virgin Media

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

d
Virgin media in UK used to do ADSL connections which would be different, but the current SuperHubs or the Hub 3.0 (which definitely is not super) have a modem mode which is a transparent half-bridge mode using wan type dhcp with full 1500 byte packets. The Hub 3.0 is an Arris device with the buggy Intel Puma 6 chipset, earlier superhubs were Netgear/Broadcom. I don't think you can do anything in your router to fix the terrible latency jitter of the Hub 3.0 ... or oversold overloaded VM networks!
dhcp from the isp is ipoe, since it allows for a 1500 mtu, i have that set up ony connection except im on vdsl2,the overhead is dependant on they connection type and protocols used.

I'm sorry to revive this thread but I have Virgin with Hub 3.0 in Modem mode with an AC68U + latest RTMerlin and FreshJR Adaptive QOS script. I set WAN Packet Overhead to DOCSIS which just adds the number 18. Even though it's showing A+ in bufferbloat in DSLReports I'm still getting massive latency spikes in MP games, namely Rocket League etc, it's actually insane (gaming on PC).

I've tried both WAN Packet Overhead at 0 and at 18 (DOCSIS) but my main question is, are we REALLY stuck with this POS Hub 3? Because I'm sure it's the frigging modem itself, is it possible to replace it with anything 3rd party or even downgrade to a second hand Hub 2?

Thanks

Is it possible to get a stand alone modem?

Is it possible to get a stand alone modem?
That's the question he asked!:rolleyes::D
but my main question is, are we REALLY stuck with this POS Hub 3? Because I'm sure it's the frigging modem itself, is it possible to replace it with anything 3rd party or even downgrade to a second hand Hub 2?
The answer AFAIK is, no it's not possible to use a 3rd party modem. However, in theory, if you could get hold of an old VM Superhub 2 that might work; assuming your line speed wasn't too high and the local CMTS was compatible. And of course you'd probably have to speak to the right person at VM to get them to enable it - good luck with that!

Last edited:
That's the question he asked!:rolleyes::D

The answer AFAIK is, no it's not possible to use a 3rd party modem. However, in theory, if you could get hold of an old VM Superhub 2 that might work; assuming your line speed wasn't too high and the local CMTS was compatible. And of course you'd probably have to speak to the right person to get them to enable it - good luck with that!
I read his post at work skimmed through it, Rolling your eyes at me is very beneficial to the op :p :p

There is some Netgear based dossis modem's Ive seen

Modem-mode is not a direct connection between your LAN (ASUS router) and the modem on the Superhub, which is why no additional overhead needs to be added.

Been a long time now since I was with Virgin, but I seem to remember that Modem-mode was not a true interface to the modem where the Cable overhead would apply.
The Superhub is a combined device, not just a modem. The Cable overhead only applies between the cable interface and the switch interface. The DOCSIS encapsulation is discarded at this point (as not needed) where the switch interfaces with your LAN (in our case our Asus Routers), there is no cable overhead.
Modem-mode works by putting the LAN facing interfaces into some kind of DMZ (disabling NAT, DHCP etc).

That's completely BS. It's so annoying, this might be the worst hub/modem I've used, I know about the issues with the Puma CPU and even after the firmware update it's not even that much better. Unfortunately being in my specific central london area the max I can get is like 3MB dsl, no BT fibre whatsoever, I'm completely stuck to Virgin, if only we could use a 3rd party modem it'd be a different story.

Modem-mode is not a direct connection between your LAN (ASUS router) and the modem on the Superhub, which is why no additional overhead needs to be added.

Been a long time now since I was with Virgin, but I seem to remember that Modem-mode was not a true interface to the modem where the Cable overhead would apply.
The Superhub is a combined device, not just a modem. The Cable overhead only applies between the cable interface and the switch interface. The DOCSIS encapsulation is discarded at this point (as not needed) where the switch interfaces with your LAN (in our case our Asus Routers), there is no cable overhead.
Modem-mode works by putting the LAN facing interfaces into some kind of DMZ (disabling NAT, DHCP etc).

Really? That's weird cause on my AC68U, whenever I input 18 (docsis value) in WAN packet overhead I get better bufferbloat results though, not sure if it's just within the margin of error but it did seem consistent.

Really? That's weird cause on my AC68U, whenever I input 18 (docsis value) in WAN packet overhead I get better bufferbloat results though, not sure if it's just within the margin of error but it did seem consistent.
I'm also on VM with a Hub3. My buffer bloat scores are always "A" regardless of the ATM overhead (although I'm using John's fork). Looking at the actual numbers rather than the A-B-C rating I can see that with an overhead of zero the buffer bloat is consistently better than any other option.

At the end of the day the packet overhead isn't a magic cure for VM's congested network.

I'm sorry to revive this thread but I have Virgin with Hub 3.0 in Modem mode with an AC68U + latest RTMerlin and FreshJR Adaptive QOS script. I set WAN Packet Overhead to DOCSIS which just adds the number 18. Even though it's showing A+ in bufferbloat in DSLReports I'm still getting massive latency spikes in MP games, namely Rocket League etc, it's actually insane (gaming on PC).

I've tried both WAN Packet Overhead at 0 and at 18 (DOCSIS) but my main question is, are we REALLY stuck with this POS Hub 3? Because I'm sure it's the frigging modem itself, is it possible to replace it with anything 3rd party or even downgrade to a second hand Hub 2?

Thanks

What did you set the Upload Bandwidth and Download Bandwidth to under QOS Configuration?

Did you run a speed test first with QOS Disabled? What were the results (run a few times).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!