What's new

want NAS recommendation. Datto Z-series?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ManOKonstantSoro

New Around Here
I've never used NAS but i've been reading the primers. What i want is a reliable "box" that i can hide away from thieves to store my music (mp3's), videos (mpg's), pictures (jpg's) (these 3 categories would currently fill maybe 100 GB now and more in the future), and my business files (a few MB). I want to be able to access these files from any PC in the building, which is wired with CAT5E thru a gigabit router. The different folders need to be password protected, and show up in Windows Explorer so i can double-click them to run the appropriate application (such as VideoLAN or Excel) for each file type, which is stored on each PC's opsys disk. I do NOT need feed to a standalone networked media player. I am the only user. I have had numerous PC's crash over the years so i don't feel confident about using an old PC as NAS, and i don't want to have to struggle with penguin operating systems.
I was thinking about getting a 2-disk BYOD standalone type "box" NAS. I figured that if i ran RAID1, i could take out one disk once a month (since my music and video files don't change often) and store it offsite, and then rebuild the array. Then if the NAS died or was stolen, i could still attach the offsite disk to my PC to get immediate access to my files again. Would a PC be able to read this disk, or are the disk formats proprietary? Can someone recommend a good product for my needs? I was looking at the Datto Z-Series NAS backup devices. These sound great for backup (dual gigabyte, onsite/offsite backup) but i don't know if they would also fulfill my file server needs. Thanks for any pointers.

You might be able to get the remove-one-RAID1 drive trick to work, but why bother with the hassle?

Instead just use a single drive NAS with a backup-to-external-USB drive feature found on many NASes. Easier portability and since the drives will be FAT32 formatted, will show right up when attached to a Windows machine.

I suggest you look at the Buffalo LinkStations.