What's new

Want to replace WRT54G v4 and 520gu with faster counterparts

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bigpow

Occasional Visitor
Both WRT54G v4 and 520gu are running DD-WRT; WRT54G as AP and 520gu as Client Bridge.

Client bridge takes half of the bandwidth, so I'm thinking about adding or replacing them with two dual radio 802.11n.
The plan is to set up the two 802.11n at 5GHz, one as AP and the other as Client bridge; and keep the WRT54G AP at 2.4GHz for older 802.11g clients.

Could you share your thoughts on this?
Any recommendation on good & cheap DD-WRT-compatible 5GHz 802.11 devices?

TIA

Using two simultaneous dual-band routers this way will provide higher throughput because of the separate radios for "backhaul" between the two APs.

Downside is that 5 GHz has lower range than 2.4 GHz. Signals get absorbed more when passing through walls.

I don't know of any DD-WRT dual-band N routers. Check the supported devices list and their Forums.

I'm also a bit wary about the distance vs throughput limitation at 5GHz.
Even with the current 802.11g, I had to resort to making aluminum foil antenna reflectors and stainless steel strainers

Linksys WRT610N can be upgraded with DD-WRT, but its internal antenna design concerns me. It just means that I won't be able to put any reflector dish behind it to boost its signal. And a pair of them aren't exactly cheap either.

I tried using a pair of old Powerline adapter (not HP-AV), and it was very slow that I was so turned off by it, I don't even feel like trying the HP-AV (up to 200Mbps?)

For my purpose, powerline connection would be great - if it'll give me at least 50Mbps
I can't use moca, my house coax is a mess - that Comcast had to remove a lot of the splitters, just to make comcast HD box working.

What do you think?

Tim, maybe you could help me interpret my test result from using Netgear Powerline XE adapters.
1) in the same room: iperf max at 5Mbps
2) one in the office, other in the living room: iperf max at 1Mbps

Does this tells you that my 2 rooms are on separate 120V legs?
If I go with the new Powerline AV 200M, can I assume similar rate drop as above?

Thanks

First, I'd use a tool like LAN Speed Test or NetMeter vs. iperf. Much simpler to use!

First generation powerline adapters depended on conducted signals only and couldn't operate between phases. Current design (the the NETGEAR adapters you're using) use newer chipsets that use conducted and radiated signals. So they can operate phase to phase.

What will affect throughput is line noise (lamp dimmers, motors) and AFCI circuit breakers. You may be affected by this if your home is in the US and of recent construction. More on that here.

Hard to tell if you'll get a "similar" drop with HomePlug AV adapters. Only way to know is to try.
http://www.totusoft.com/lanspeed2.html

with my luck (and old home), I don't really want to try out the powerline AV kit. Maybe with a local retailer that has easy return policy.

How about this:
WGA600N to replace the 520gu (client bridge) for the living room, connected to a small switch (to 4 devices)
and
WRT400N to replace main WRT54G.

Is it possible to configure the WRT400N to do these simultaneously:
2.4G = 802.11g clients
5G = connection to WGA600N only

I would not let an older home prevent you from trying powerline. Check Staples / Office Depot. Last I knew, they don't charge restocking.

The 400N can be configured the way you want.

a quick update on my quest to upgrade my aging 802.11g network;

I bought a BrightView Twin Adapter Kit, only $55 shipped from amazon, directly from BrightView. Cheap enough (brand/dollar wise) to experiment, so I gave it a shot.

Unless I found a major problem with them, I think I'm going to keep them. Getting consistent 3.6MB/s between floors in my house. Very decent.
Same room different outlet performance is twice faster. But as it is, the living room PC can anything up to 1080p contents smoothly from the RAID box upstairs.
I don't know how much better/faster a 802.11n 5GHz would be in my house, but comparing the price of these BrightView adapters to a pair of Linksys or Netgear 802.11n 5GHz routers, I think I will never find out.

I reconfigured my Asus WL520gu to be a dumb 5-port switch (was a wireless bridge). Now with less radio in the house - less interference = faster speed on all wifi my devices.

Powerline tech has come along way from the old PL, and PL 85Mbps. 200Mbps is decent as it is, and I think they're coming up with better technologies soon.

I'll be sure to going to look for them in a few years when I'm ready for 2K contents.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. I don't see the BrightView adapters for sale on Amazon. I'm assuming they are HomePlug AV?

Thanks for the clarification. That's pretty inexpensive for a pair of HomePlug AV adapters.