What's new

watch out where you buy an ac88u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I support the gray market.

The graphic card GTX 1080 in my country costs 1,050 dollars (WTF) (This is the best price you can get and they tell you that they are losing because of that rebate) and I bought the same in Amazon (US) for 500 dollars + 80 dollars in shipping and taxes.

In my country when on black friday, they increase the price to 100% and they say in their advertising, "Today everything has a discount of 75% because is Black Friday", but you are paying 25% more than the normal price...

This is the face they have when someone buys something with their 75% discount the black friday.
200w.gif
giphy.gif

The sad part is the day when they sell more.

Believe it - grey market product - it must work - either the seller or manufacturer has to cover things fresh out of the box...

go to the reseller first, but if they decline, the manufacturer is on the hook... hence my statement that Asus has the problem with Grey Market folks.

Please don't shift this on to the buyer..

I heard grey market product is some times stolen goods or the source of goods is fuzzy. Thieves often steal containerful of stuffs and have to dump it on the market. In my younger day I was very active in the hobby of learning photography . Lens, camera body could be bought for lot less than selling price at regular reputable stores. >> the grey market stuffs. Luckily I never got burned buying those.

I heard grey market product is some times stolen goods or the source of goods is fuzzy. Thieves often steal containerful of stuffs and have to dump it on the market. In my younger day I was very active in the hobby of learning photography . Lens, camera body could be bought for lot less than selling price at regular reputable stores. >> the grey market stuffs. Luckily I never got burned buying those.

Things can and do fall off the back of trucks.

That being said - OP purchased the item from a reputable reseller - Gearbest, who does business on a global scale...

If Asus has issues with Gearbest, they should take it up with them (which would be wise, IMHO, as regulatory does have some impact with RF devices like WiFi)...

OP is stuck between a rock and a hard spot - Gearbest probably should not have sold him the router in the first place, but Asus can and should (and likely pushed, will) support the device.

OP bought the device in good faith - and Asus is punishing him by denying warranty service - not the best plan, IMHO...

Last edited:
Things can and do fall off the back of trucks.

That being said - OP purchased the item from a reputable reseller - Gearbest, who does business on a global scale...

If Asus has issues with Gearbest, they should take it up with them (which would be wise, IMHO, as regulatory does have some impact with RF devices like WiFi)...

OP is stuck between a rock and a hard spot - Gearbest probably should not have sold him the router in the first place, but Asus can and should (and likely pushed, will) support the device.

OP bought the device in good faith - and Asus is punishing him by denying warranty service - not the best plan, IMHO...

yes, yes and yes!!!

ty multiple times!!!

i also highly agree with you.

ron

there is return policy with DOA, 7 day for you and coverage with them
also warranty from the reseller
https://www.gearbest.com/about/warranty-and-return.html#war1

and when you purchase from those global market, use paypal so that you are protected as well.

one problem is that i contacted t/s in the usa and spent hours and hours with them over several days priot to getting an rma from them. this exceeded 7 days as i wa sbusy working with asus. does this not count???

they first worked with me for several days to get from the hard reset which came up in chinese to letting me know what i had to type in on a reboot to get to english. then they set up an rma which got me to send the unit tio them. this then tookj another week tio get to asis usa and then several more days unti they said, sorry, this is from china. grown.

one problem is that i contacted t/s in the usa and spent hours and hours with them over several days priot to getting an rma from them. this exceeded 7 days as i wa sbusy working with asus. does this not count???

they first worked with me for several days to get from the hard reset which came up in chinese to letting me know what i had to type in on a reboot to get to english. then they set up an rma which got me to send the unit tio them. this then tookj another week tio get to asis usa and then several more days unti they said, sorry, this is from china. grown.
It's honestly not Asus fault as it's expected the product should be purchased from within the US when you contact ASUS USA.
while it's out of 7 day DoA protection, you may try to talk to Gearbest and see what they will do.
There is also 45 day money back warranty that you can ask Gearbest. Explained what you have done and how long it take you to go back and forth with Asus.
You still have 1 year repair warranty from gearbest.
If gearbest refuse to address the issue and if you made purchase with paypal, you can also make claim with paypal. ( i hope you did, i dont purchase from global site that doesn't take paypal)
for paypal:
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security

Since you said you have email back and forth with Asus, it should bepretty easy to provide those to gearbest and to paypal.

I can only speak for my personal experience when I making purchase on site that sell globally.
I spend time to read those warranty and what is covered, and protect myself.
I always hesitate on making purchase; especially if I can buy from Amazon (US) with a bit more premium, I will choose to do it.
It's simply convenient and worry free.

Last edited:
haha:
The customer voids the warranty if they:
- Flash the firmware of a device or root a device

First step to solve a problem is always to update software or here firmware.
And you lost warrenty !!!

In my case they dont allow to open a case, item is shown in the list but after filling every field an error page will be shown ...

How to talk to them or even contact them?

Last edited:
It's honestly not Asus fault as it's expected the product should be purchased from within the US when you contact ASUS USA.
while it's out of 7 day DoA protection, you may try to talk to Gearbest and see what they will do.
There is also 45 day money back warranty that you can ask Gearbest. Explained what you have done and how long it take you to go back and forth with Asus.
You still have 1 year repair warranty from gearbest.
If gearbest refuse to address the issue and if you made purchase with paypal, you can also make claim with paypal. ( i hope you did, i dont purchase from global site that doesn't take paypal)
for paypal:
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security

Since you said you have email back and forth with Asus, it should bepretty easy to provide those to gearbest and to paypal.

I can only speak for my personal experience when I making purchase on site that sell globally.
I spend time to read those warranty and what is covered, and protect myself.
I always hesitate on making purchase; especially if I can buy from Amazon (US) with a bit more premium, I will choose to do it.
It's simply convenient and worry free.

asus usa *knew* i purchased it from china as they had the serial number and mac address which i supplied them with over the phone. they escalated it to a level three and then to the level three manager who sent me an email with the latest update f/w 384_20495 and gave me instructions on how to do a rescue. they knew that a reboot caused chinese to appear and worked on getting me past that. but when the 5.4 channel did not work, they created an rma for me. then they must have lost internal communication because they sent me an email three days after receiving my unit that it was bought in china and they would not service the unit.

earlier, they had even offered to talk with their engineers to present me with a special f/w to correct the problem. that did not happen.

i would think that for customer satisfaction, they would bite the bullet and send me a new unit. that is what a lot of great companies do ... offer customer satisfaction.

The customer voids the warranty if they:
- Flash the firmware of a device or root a device

That was actually proven to be illegal a few months ago. Asus was among the companies hit by this, and they were forced (along others) to adjust their warranty policy. They cannot reject warranty services based on this.

That was actually proven to be illegal a few months ago. Asus was among the companies hit by this, and they were forced (along others) to adjust their warranty policy. They cannot reject warranty services based on this.
but bought in china from gearbest (where they are located) the US or any other law wont be applicable
This are not Asus but gearbest rules. Asus operating inside US could be covered by US law, but not gearbest. I dont know chinese law but think you will never get anything from them.
Nevermind, no chance to contact them for any return or fill their reclamation site so nothing worth their warranty at all.

asus usa *knew* i purchased it from china as they had the serial number and mac address which i supplied them with over the phone. they escalated it to a level three and then to the level three manager who sent me an email with the latest update f/w 384_20495 and gave me instructions on how to do a rescue. they knew that a reboot caused chinese to appear and worked on getting me past that. but when the 5.4 channel did not work, they created an rma for me. then they must have lost internal communication because they sent me an email three days after receiving my unit that it was bought in china and they would not service the unit.

earlier, they had even offered to talk with their engineers to present me with a special f/w to correct the problem. that did not happen.

i would think that for customer satisfaction, they would bite the bullet and send me a new unit. that is what a lot of great companies do ... offer customer satisfaction.
I thought you were asking for what options you have to solve the issue, but I guess you want to focus on how you were rejected by Asus when they refuse the RMA based on where you purchased it.

There is 2 different term, global support, where Asus provide support world wide.
and the limited warranty provided by Asus has region restriction. (some product does have global warranty)
Basically, the tech support is provided regardless where you have purchased the item.
They dont check if the warranty has expired/where it is from, they only verify whether or not the product is indeed Asus.
It's not tech support's job to handle and deal with warranty.
Would be nice if Asus bite the bullet, but not how warranty works

But anyway, each person will have different view on how it should be done.
I personally would have started dealing with gearbest and paypal at this point and try to solve the issue asap as time is ticking.

but bought in china from gearbest (where they are located) the US or any other law wont be applicable
This are not Asus but gearbest rules. Asus operating inside US could be covered by US law, but not gearbest. I dont know chinese law but think you will never get anything from them.
Nevermind, no chance to contact them for any return or fill their reclamation site so nothing worth their warranty at all.
"Flash the firmware" is less likely to be update the stock firmware.
While they technically the same, the term used in Chinese is more of loading 3rd party firmware, i.e merlin/dd-wrt/tomato.
I would just tell them I follow the instruction from tech support, update the device and still not solve the issue, instead of "flashing the firmware".
(I am not responsible if it doesn't work out though :p)
And thats even more reason to pay with paypal so if any shirt happened, you still have some sort of protection.

Not sure what you mean by not able to contact them, it's pretty easy to do so
Untitled.png

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by not able to contact them, it's pretty easy to do soView attachment 13939
It is neither easy nor possible at all!

I know this site, then click on return and exchange, submit a ticket, fill all fields in the new opened window, try about 10 times to check my bought items till they are shown and router could be selected, type captcha, renew it before otherwise would work never ->
AND what surprise get an error on opening ticket/fault page, with all browsers and different PC/laptop.
upload_2018-8-6_0-15-50.png

and now ... ???

Should have 1 year, are 8 months now and no chance to get further!

Last edited:
It is neither easy nor possible at all!
I know this site, then click on return and exchange, submit a ticket, fill all fields in the new opened window, try about 10 times to check my bought items till they are shown and router could be selected, type captcha, renew it before otherwise would work never ->
AND what surprise get an error on opening ticket/fault page, with all browsers and different PC/laptop.
View attachment 13941
and now ... ???
Should have 1 year, are 8 months now and no chance to get further!
Dont know, I dont have issue trying to create ticket with the item I bought from them that I made purchased last year.
I just create a pointless inquiry for tech support and dont have issue to go thru it
Untitled2.png Untitled3.png
I select tech support for the order that I purchased last year, 1 month away to 1 year.
No issue at all.

In case you were trying to request refund, maybe they have filtered out the order due to how long you already have it in your procession?
That's what I am guessing.
For me, I wasn't even available to type in order no. on refund request page and only allow to use their "my orders" function when trying to open ticket for refund.

but ya, nothing beats the convenience to buy from amazon ;p

Last edited:
I just create a pointless inquiry for tech support and dont have issue to go thru it
I select tech support for the order that I purchased last year, 1 month away to 1 year.
Thanks, could send it now as tech support (in both top fields) and got a ticket, lets see what they will answer now.

Thanks, could send it now as tech support (in both top fields) and got a ticket, lets see what they will answer now.
THANKS @indark !!!
They offered 30 USD refund, so it is well done for me and fair for both sides I think, I can live with this special bug on my particular router, only need to remember to reboot after any WiFi changes, but that wont be often after I found my settings.

help!

i just received my 88u back from asus usa t/s; i'd probably have a tough time with china to be within the 30 return as i first received the asus from china on july 10th. it was tied us with asus usa t/s with an rma for 21 days. groan.

asus usa also stated on the return that the *client* refused to have unit fixed. that is a lie!!! i am an email from them that *they* refused to fix unit as it was purchased from china.

in any case, time is of the essence in dealing with china.

they placed a 2mb limit on *videos* that they want to see and i don't know how to comply and stay within that range.

i don't know how to save screenshots of gui pages as say, text files. i took pictures with my smart phone and each jpeg is 4mb or so and i cannot truncate it close to enough. is there part of the gui that will let me save the data on a page that is far less in required data space???

i took around 5 pictures of pertinent info including two of the unit itself. again, all too much date to meet their stringent requirements.

again, help! i am under a time constraint.

also, any other ideas that i should listen to? i am upset that asus usa claimed that the client denied repairs. that is *not* true.

anybody had any luck getting customer satisfaction via asus usa or asus china?

btw, i purchased a tp-link 1900 that works great and is very speedy. no problems.

tyia!
ron

help!
i just received my 88u back from asus usa t/s; i'd probably have a tough time with china to be within the 30 return as i first received the asus from china on july 10th. it was tied us with asus usa t/s with an rma for 21 days. groan.
asus usa also stated on the return that the *client* refused to have unit fixed. that is a lie!!! i am an email from them that *they* refused to fix unit as it was purchased from china.
in any case, time is of the essence in dealing with china.
they placed a 2mb limit on *videos* that they want to see and i don't know how to comply and stay within that range.
i don't know how to save screenshots of gui pages as say, text files. i took pictures with my smart phone and each jpeg is 4mb or so and i cannot truncate it close to enough. is there part of the gui that will let me save the data on a page that is far less in required data space???
i took around 5 pictures of pertinent info including two of the unit itself. again, all too much date to meet their stringent requirements.
again, help! i am under a time constraint.
also, any other ideas that i should listen to? i am upset that asus usa claimed that the client denied repairs. that is *not* true.
anybody had any luck getting customer satisfaction via asus usa or asus china?
btw, i purchased a tp-link 1900 that works great and is very speedy. no problems.
tyia!
ron
to save screen shot, you can just press Print screen on your keyboard, open paint and paste there. just remember to reduce the size say to 50%.
or you can just edit the picture that you currently have with paint as well, reduce the size by 50% should give you small enough picture to upload.
You can also cut and paste the portion you need as well, it will further reduce the size
easiest way is print screen, but there are other method here for you
https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-take-screenshots-windows-8-81-using-built-tools

as far as video, maybe it is possible to upload those file to some video side and give them the link.

normally, those can be easily done by put them up on google drive (or any cloud data service) and share the url.
Not sure if they will be able to access it though. Doesn't hurt to try.

Last edited:
to save screen shot, you can just press Print screen on your keyboard, open paint and paste there. just remember to reduce the size say to 50%.
or you can just edit the picture that you currently have with paint as well, reduce the size by 50% should give you small enough picture to upload.
You can also cut and paste the portion you need as well, it will further reduce the size
easiest way is print screen, but there are other method here for you
https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-take-screenshots-windows-8-81-using-built-tools

as far as video, maybe it is possible to upload those file to some video side and give them the link.

normally, those can be easily done by put them up on google drive (or any cloud data service) and share the url.
Not sure if they will be able to access it though. Doesn't hurt to try.

thank you! i had not done this resizing stuff before. i hope i'm all set now to write the tracking report and submit some screen shots. we'll see what happens with china support. i'm also going to contact asus usa as their sheet claimed that the *client* refused to have unit repaired. NOT TRUE!

ron

explain it in your text and only upload them anything, no need that the video or picture showing really your problem.
I sent them my conversation with Asus in German, they will never understand it!

They will accept the return, you only have to pay for return fees.

Even for me they offered 8 month later a full refund or repair, but would have to return for that.
Would mean I have to buy another router for next 2-3 months and pay >30€ for return (yes it is that expensive from my home to China).
Thats why I acceptet a small refund for my bug which I can live with.

Very easy program to compress/resize/cut pictures is MS Office picture manager.
Its free out of Office 2010, only install picture manager, disable all other programs while installing. Free offer as part of share point designer.
64bit: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24309
32bit: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16573

Make print screen of your monitor, open picture manager and paste (Ctrl-V). Open this picture for editing, cut off not relevant parts and compress, you'll get good about 100kB pictures.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!