What's new

WD DL4100 Replacement Advice pls ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What do you think ?

• Synology DS918 4 bay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Synology DS1019 5 bay

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

davidjames1701

Occasional Visitor
I’m looking at replacing my old WD MY Cloud DL 4100 NAS, which has four WD Red 3TB drives in Raid 6, I’ve been looking at a QNAP TS-453B 4 bay or a Synology DS 918 4 bay, the QNAP seems to have more functionality, lots more ports, then the Synology, but Synology seems to get better reviews, and has a better OS, anyone have any views to help my choice pls ?
I’ve also seen a Synology DS1019 5 bay for more than the QNAP, but just in my budget, I’m tempted ?

Both companies make good NASes. Feature sets and UI's are slightly different. If price isn't the deciding factor, flip a coin. It's that close.

Thanks, ive read more positive reviews on Amazon about Synology, I know there “Amazon” reviews, but most should be genuine, but QNAP seems to have more ports etc, anyone else pls ?

Last edited:
Thanks, ive read more positive reviews on Amazon about Synology, I know there “Amazon” reviews, but most should be genuine, but QNAP seems to have more ports etc, anyone else pls ?
So if there’s not much difference between both software, I’ve read the Synology OS is slightly better, but that maybe outweighed by more ports etc on the QNAP ?

Last edited:
QNAP or Synology, those are the (only) choices for a NAS (still).

While I lean towards QNAP myself, this is a decision you need to make for yourself. :)

What I can say is that the software is very similar, as others can tell you. But I buy the most hardware I can get and QNAP always delivers for me. Particularly the upgradability of the boxes.

QNAP or Synology, those are the (only) choices for a NAS (still).

While I lean towards QNAP myself, this is a decision you need to make for yourself. :)

What I can say is that the software is very similar, as others can tell you. But I buy the most hardware I can get and QNAP always delivers for me. Particularly the upgradability of the boxes.
I agree about the hardware and upgradability of the boxes, my only concern is the one I’ve got my eye on the TS 453b is a three year old model ?

With it being three years old, you could consider it proven then. :)

On the other hand, if you are buying it for the upgradability, buy those parts too along with the NAS as a package, or, buy something more current if those parts don't exist anymore. :)

With it being three years old, you could consider it proven then. :)

On the other hand, if you are buying it for the upgradability, buy those parts too along with the NAS as a package, or, buy something more current if those parts don't exist anymore. :)

Good point, I’ll check if they are still available

Good point, I’ll check if they are still available
They are all still available, but, I still keep thinking about the Synology DS 1019+, it’s only £30-£40 more than the QNAP, it comes with 8gb ram instead of 4gb, has internal SSD slots already fitted, and it’ll take a powered usb hub out of the single rear usb 3 socket, plus you gain a extra hdd slot ?

after a few router and NAS restarts, ive regained NAS access, don't know how, but from reading Wd forum, i think a few more have had the same trouble, looks like WD stopped supporting the DL4100 over a year ago, got a Synology DS1019+ arriving soon, for the price and features, 8GB RAM, extra HDD bay, internal ssd slots, its a better buy for me, oh and a three year warranty ! ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!