What's new

WD My Book World Edition II 1Tb NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sprale

New Around Here
I picked up a NAS WD My Book World Edition II (WDG2NC10000N). It seemed like a good idea at the time. It comes with two 500Gb SATA drives and the ability to set them in RAID 0 or RAID 1 (I went with RAID 1). It took a while to get it configured, but still seems to be giving me trouble setting up shares and access. WD support has been helpful, but slow. I am more of a Mac guy, so using this on my Windows systems has been a struggle for me...

Does anyone have any experience in using one of these units? Any suggestions or simple solutions? I really don't need the internet access, just local network. The drive is going to house my SO's business work (photography), so simple is best. The Mionet software sucks...

Attachments

• wdfmybook_world_2n.jpg
    wdfmybook_world_2n.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 586
Mounting Shares in MyBook World II

I did this a long time ago on a XP Pro system so I may be a) a little fuzzy on the details and b) less than helpful on a Mac.

I ran into similar problems with Mionet, restricted access, falky shares, etc. In the end I dumped Mionet and built my shares inside the public folder and mapped the public folder as the network drive.

Just an FYI - Western digital appears to be using a proprietary Linux file system, so if you loose the MyBook World as I did a couple of weeks ago, you will have difficutly recovering data... Might not be the best choice for important business data.

Tom

I am thinking of getting an external case for the drives and connecting them to an old 1GHz system and setting up Windows 2003 Server. I wish it had internal room...

MyBook2 2TB

It's slow - support is horrible - interface is horrible - Mionet software is horrible - WD Anywhere software is HORRIBLE
STAY AWAY FROM THIS PRODUCT !!!
BUY IT IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD BETTER SOLUTION
but remember what i said!

Bigger storage make it even more useless because it is tooooo sloooow

Mount shares and enable SSH and FTP and remove Mionet if you end up buying it. Good luck!
This will help
http://martin.hinner.info/mybook/sshaccess.php
http://www.nanalegumene.net/using-ssh-and-ftp-on-western-digital-mybook-world/

I did this a long time ago on a XP Pro system so I may be a) a little fuzzy on the details and b) less than helpful on a Mac.

I ran into similar problems with Mionet, restricted access, falky shares, etc. In the end I dumped Mionet and built my shares inside the public folder and mapped the public folder as the network drive.

Just an FYI - Western digital appears to be using a proprietary Linux file system, so if you loose the MyBook World as I did a couple of weeks ago, you will have difficutly recovering data... Might not be the best choice for important business data.

Tom

Did you have any success retrieving your data? I am in the same boat and my data is trapped in a propietary format. I am going to try some recovery programs, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Did you have any success retrieving your data? I am in the same boat and my data is trapped in a propietary format. I am going to try some recovery programs, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

I was able to pull the data from the drive by taking the drive out of the white case and installing the drive into my computer.

The Windows XP computer did not assign a drive letter (because of the partition structure Mionet used on the drive.) but the Device Manager showed that the drive was there....just that it couldn't read from it.

I then installed Test Disk 6.11 and ran the program.
Do the following:
1. Create new log file
2. Select drive (WDC WD10EACS)
3. Viewed it with a Intel partition table type
4. Select Analyse
5. Select the Quick Search at the bottom
6. Yes or no to Vista question
7. Select the Linux partition with the largest sectors (but does not have something like "md4" or something like that.
8. Type the letter "p" to list files
9. You should now see all of the folders and files that were in that partition.
10. select each file or folder and type the letter "c" for copy
11. The program will ask you if you want to copy the file or folder to the folder you have the Test Drive program in....type "Y"
12. Confirm the folder or file has been copied.

Smile

Last edited:
Retrieving data

I agree Mionet software sucks!

To get around using the software and getting your information I had to initially use Mionet and move everything into the "Public" folder. Then go to "Security" and "Share" the whole drive. After that was done, I could plug the LAN directly into my computer and see the drive. I then had access to the files; which I promtly transfer to another hard drive.

Hope this may help.

I was able to pull the data from the drive by taking the drive out of the white case and installing the drive into my computer.

The Windows XP computer did not assign a drive letter (because of the partition structure Mionet used on the drive.) but the Device Manager showed that the drive was there....just that it couldn't read from it.

I then installed Test Disk 6.11 and ran the program.
Do the following:
1. Create new log file
2. Select drive (WDC WD10EACS)
3. Viewed it with a Intel partition table type
4. Select Analyse
5. Select the Quick Search at the bottom
6. Yes or no to Vista question
7. Select the Linux partition with the largest sectors (but does not have something like "md4" or something like that.
8. Type the letter "p" to list files
9. You should now see all of the folders and files that were in that partition.
10. select each file or folder and type the letter "c" for copy
11. The program will ask you if you want to copy the file or folder to the folder you have the Test Drive program in....type "Y"
12. Confirm the folder or file has been copied.

Smile

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!