What's new

Web Interface for RT-AC86U not working, need to reboot router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

austenpowers

Occasional Visitor
Hi All,

I just recently moved from the stock ASUSwrt firmware to the Merlin f/w, and i've noticed an issue. Now, for some reason, I'm having trouble hitting the link for the Web interface login. I have to reboot the router and then the link works. I'm trying to hit http://router.asus.com/Main_Login.asp, but nothing happens. Then I reboot the router and i'm again able to login. Sorry if this is a known issue, i did a quick search and couldn't find anything on this problem. I am running the latest version of Merlin (ie. v384.17).

Thanks,
Todd

Hi All,

I just recently moved from the stock ASUSwrt firmware to the Merlin f/w, and i've noticed an issue. Now, for some reason, I'm having trouble hitting the link for the Web interface login. I have to reboot the router and then the link works. I'm trying to hit http://router.asus.com/Main_Login.asp, but nothing happens. Then I reboot the router and i'm again able to login. Sorry if this is a known issue, i did a quick search and couldn't find anything on this problem. I am running the latest version of Merlin (ie. v384.17).

Thanks,
Todd

I have also experienced the webui being unresponsive - but it started happening only after updating unbound_manager. I have all add-ons per my signature on my RT-AC86U. Fortunately I have scMerlin Script installed - and option 3 kick starts the webui without a reboot. I doubt that it is the firmware - but the logs have so far not helped me determine what causes the webui "crash".

@kernol Thanks very much for the tip... I have installed scMerlin and I can now give my WebUI a kick without having to reboot my router (which was quite annoying). I don't know what caused this problem with the WebUI becoming unresponsive in my case, but the only change I made was to replace the stock f/w with the Merlin f/w. And I never had this problem with the stock f/w. But perhaps there is some setting which is causing this problem (I don't know). Anyway, at least I have a MUCH better workaround now thanks to you!

@kernol Thanks very much for the tip... I have installed scMerlin and I can now give my WebUI a kick without having to reboot my router (which was quite annoying). I don't know what caused this problem with the WebUI becoming unresponsive in my case, but the only change I made was to replace the stock f/w with the Merlin f/w. And I never had this problem with the stock f/w. But perhaps there is some setting which is causing this problem (I don't know). Anyway, at least I have a MUCH better workaround now thanks to you!

I am having the exact same problem with my RT-AC88U , stock MerlinWRT updated to the latest version 384.19, only have DNS Privacy Protocol = DoT, have you guys figured out a solution?

I am having the exact same problem with my RT-AC88U , stock MerlinWRT updated to the latest version 384.19, only have DNS Privacy Protocol = DoT, have you guys figured out a solution?

Never could figure out the root cause of the problem in my RT-AC86U - but whatever it was ... after doing nuclear reset and manual rebuild after flashing 384.19 the frozen webui has not recurred - despite plenty of opportunity for it to do so.

Never could figure out the root cause of the problem in my RT-AC86U - but whatever it was ... after doing nuclear reset and manual rebuild after flashing 384.19 the frozen webui has not recurred - despite plenty of opportunity for it to do so.

It has happened to me 2 times in two weeks with rt-ac2900 (rt-ac86U).

I see that for years it has happened to more people but there is no solution, just restart the httpd service.

It seems to be the case with merlin firmware but not with stock firmware.

What firmware do you have?

I have the router in AP mode and connected a 4TB Toshiba 3.0 hard drive.

It has happened to me 2 times in two weeks with rt-ac2900 (rt-ac86U).

I see that for years it has happened to more people but there is no solution, just restart the httpd service.

It seems to be the case with merlin firmware but not with stock firmware.

What firmware do you have?

I have the router in AP mode and connected a 4TB Toshiba 3.0 hard drive.

My signature reveals all - routers / firmware and add-ons ;).

Any updates on this? I just upgraded my AX88U to 384.19_0 and I can't even get past the login screen (after a reboot). All networking is fine across devices

Any updates on this? I just upgraded my AX88U to 384.19_0 and I can't even get past the login screen (after a reboot). All networking is fine across devices

If I were in this sort of spot, I'd try a different browser. And I'd try dumping my browser's cache and restarting the browser. Seems like a good chance that this is due to stale pages in the browser cache that need to be flushed, but that's just a guess. You could also reset your router, but this sounds more like a browser than a router problem to me.

Just updated for first time in two years on my RT-AC68U. And.. same issue. Got bitten twice by it already in one evening. Web GUI just stops responding after the login prompt.

Anyone know the shell command to restart just the Web GUI? Doing a full reboot takes a while..

EDIT: Apparently this command from ssh should do the trick: service restart_httpd

Thanks

Last edited:
Any definitive solve for this issue please gents?

This started happening after I updated to the latest official firmware release (3.0.0.4.388.20566), and I'd love to solve this without doing a hard reset and setting the unit up from scratch...

Su

latest official firmware release (3.0.0.4.388.20566)

Latest official firmware for RT-AC86U is 386.48260 and it doesn't have httpd issue. Your router model is RT-AX86U.

I haven't seen this happening on RT-AX86U either. Do factory reset and configure manually. Don't use saved configuration files.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!