What's new

WebGUI slow when viewing syslog

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Goobi

Regular Contributor
Hi Community,

I notice that if I try and view the syslog from the WebGUI it takes a really long time or even fails to load on first attempt. I seem to recall stumbling on a thread that covered this but cannot seem to locate it. I am using Skynet,Diversion, scribe, etc. but don’t think the problem is related to that nor the version as I have had the above programs before the issue started and have seen it across multiple versions (currently at 384.10 on 86U).

Anyone else seen this issue? Appears to me like the web server is crashing although I did not see anything in the syslog to suggest that.

Hi Community,

I notice that if I try and view the syslog from the WebGUI it takes a really long time or even fails to load on first attempt. I seem to recall stumbling on a thread that covered this but cannot seem to locate it. I am using Skynet,Diversion, scribe, etc. but don’t think the problem is related to that nor the version as I have had the above programs before the issue started and have seen it across multiple versions (currently at 384.10 on 86U).

Anyone else seen this issue? Appears to me like the web server is crashing although I did not see anything in the syslog to suggest that.

What browser are you using? Are they all giving similar results if you've tried more than one?

Are you connecting with HTTPS? Try connecting with HTTP instead.

You say it’s slow when viewing syslog. But you didn’t say “only” when viewing syslog, so I’m not sure from your post if it’s just slow when calling up the syslog page, or if it’s slow on all the other pages but either you forgot to mention it or you’ve not tested the other pages.

Following on from L&LD’s line of enquiry, is the login page slow to display, and once it has and you’ve entered your details, is the initial Network Map page as slow to load as the syslog page?

If the webgui is pointed to a log file that gets really big, that can happen, and also you are reading from a USB drive and not memory.

Check that /tmp/syslog.log is a symlink and what it is pointing to. Should be /opt/var/log/messages.
Then go and check the size of /opt/var/log/messages. If it is 10 meg or so, it will take 4 or 5 seconds to load. You can do two things to control the size: logrotate parameters or see what is filling up messages and set up a config to pull them out.

Thanks everyone,

I see the same symptoms from chrome, IE, Firefox, Safari. Only the syslog page is slow no other items in the WebGUI load slowly.

@elorimer thanks for those tips! /opt/var/log/messages is 42.5 MBs! I run netdata, and the backend database it sends it’s data to was offline for about a week. This produced 235990 entries for netdata during that period. Which of the two methods you suggested would be best to clean up the logs of these messages? Not familiar with using either, so that is something I need to look into as well.

Thanks again everyone for your input.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!