What's new

Weird Client behavior with rt-ac88u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Veloglou

New Around Here
Evening Gentlemen , I recently bought an rt-ac88u never before had a router other than those cheap ones the providers give away , I went on with the purchase since I am starting some smart home hobby and opted for a good starter point with the router.

I started with the stock firmware everything was fine until I tried to pair a broadlink RM Pro+, this one is only 2.4ghz b/g/n band only, so I disabled smart connect and pair it with the 2.4 but soon after I experience disconnects on the device, I fiddled with some more settings I found recommendations here but didn’t work out so I flashed the latest firmware (384.15) and followed L&LD post for noobs ;)

I made a new ssid (seperate 2.4 and 5 ) I paired the broadlink but same results afterwards I tried disable airtime fairness , preamble type short , disable universal beamforming , multi mimo off , wireless mode to N only and 20 MHz channel bandwidth , every time I changed each option I let the broadlink on until it disconnect nothing works

Now the weird part for me since I am a total noobis it allways disconnects at exactly 1 hour been on ,the tx/rx rate drops to 1 and one minute later it drops for 5 minutes every time!

One thing that seems to work is enabling Guest wifi and putting it there alone ,now it runs for several hours without any problems but I think it acts with great latency.

Any help appreciated !

Evening Gentlemen , I recently bought an rt-ac88u never before had a router other than those cheap ones the providers give away , I went on with the purchase since I am starting some smart home hobby and opted for a good starter point with the router.

I started with the stock firmware everything was fine until I tried to pair a broadlink RM Pro+, this one is only 2.4ghz b/g/n band only, so I disabled smart connect and pair it with the 2.4 but soon after I experience disconnects on the device, I fiddled with some more settings I found recommendations here but didn’t work out so I flashed the latest firmware (384.15) and followed L&LD post for noobs ;)

I made a new ssid (seperate 2.4 and 5 ) I paired the broadlink but same results afterwards I tried disable airtime fairness , preamble type short , disable universal beamforming , multi mimo off , wireless mode to N only and 20 MHz channel bandwidth , every time I changed each option I let the broadlink on until it disconnect nothing works

Now the weird part for me since I am a total noobis it allways disconnects at exactly 1 hour been on ,the tx/rx rate drops to 1 and one minute later it drops for 5 minutes every time!

One thing that seems to work is enabling Guest wifi and putting it there alone ,now it runs for several hours without any problems but I think it acts with great latency.

Any help appreciated !
Try the legacy setting and leave the a/b check mark alone.

I had a Vivint security system and had cameras and stuff dropping off all the time. I spoke to an engineer and he said use the legacy setting to use the lower "g" standard. He was right it worked and really 54mb/s was more than enough for my cameras.

Welcome to the forum! :D

I had a Vivint security system and had cameras and stuff dropping off all the time. I spoke to an engineer and he said use the legacy setting to use the lower "g" standard. He was right it worked and really 54mb/s was more than enough for my cameras.
Thanks going to try that as soon as possible

Thanks @skeal turning on legacy did help , it is running for 12 hours no dc's!
Allthough now i am thinking if i should let the broadlink to the guest wifi and put back my normal 2.4 ghz to N , since running legacy wireless mode disabled many other features in professional tab and every other device i run was doing allright anyway.
Reading in wiki that the legacy mode has weaker signal made me thinking if i should go that way , i cant confirm the weaker signal my self though,and airtime fairness and universal beamforming should be disabled anyway from the suggestions i read here .Having a guest wifi running without really using it apart from that device should not caus any delays-interference to my main 2.4 ghz wifi is this correct?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!