What's new

Weird DNS problem (RT-AC68U running 380.59)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

logic88

Occasional Visitor
Thanks to all for the tips for updating my RT-AC68U from a very old build.

But unfortunately, the problem that I was trying to fix didn't go away. Every few hours, it appears that the DNS on the router goes down. Connectivity is lost and remains this way for around 10 minutes. I don't see anything odd in the System Log.

I can usually restore connectivity if I toggle the WAN DNS Setting.

Any ideas? Is there a way to script the WAN DNS toggle if connectivity is lost?

Thanks!

Per Merlins advice to a similar question

Try doing a factory default reset and manually re-configuring your router.

I was afraid of that.

I'll give it a go this weekend when I have some free time.

If that fails, is there a way to schedule a DNS toggle (from ISP to custom or vice versa) every hour? Does firmware support cron jobs? That would be a ugly band-aid but less annoying than the lost connectivity.

Thanks!

I was afraid of that.

I'll give it a go this weekend when I have some free time.

If that fails, is there a way to schedule a DNS toggle (from ISP to custom or vice versa) every hour? Does firmware support cron jobs? That would be a ugly band-aid but less annoying than the lost connectivity.

Thanks!
I had the same problem.

Are you using DUAL WAN ? I was.

After trying every possible thing (including factory reset), I read about some issues with Dual WAN, turned it off and the problem disappeared.

It does not make me happy to have the second ISP turned off, but as I use it for backup only and service from my main ISP has stabilized, it does not represent an issue.

I too am experiencing a similar issue and am coming from an old build myself. I did however do a full factory reset and setup my unit in AP mode and still face the same issue. Not quite sure what is causing the issue. Am considering flashing an older build or perhaps re-flashing the current one again to see if it may fix things.

I'm using single WAN and unfortunately the factory reset didn't help. I'm still getting these weird DNS failures a couple of times a day.

I'm going to try scheduling a reboot every day at 6:00AM to see if that helps.

It looks like 380.61 resolved this problem or at least made it infrequent enough that I don't notice it anymore.

I updated last week and so far, I haven't seen the problem again.

Whoops. Of course once I post an update, the problem comes back that night. :(

Ugh. Back to trying different settings again.

After loading the latest ASUS official firmware (380.3831) and doing a factory reset & NVRAM clearing, everything seemed to work ok. I am wondering if it might be something in Merlin's ROM causing the DNS drops?

If you have one you might try a reset of the cable modem.
I know on c
Comcrap that the modem gets confused sometimes and won't issue an IP.

I'm having the same problmes
All my Network Cameras and wifi and everything goes out I sure its a DNS problems
Ill try the new firmware and reset