What's new

weird issue with rt-ac88 and 5ghz band

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

darivo

Occasional Visitor
hello
i dont know if this post is ok here, but i think im having a problem with the SO of the router

im have 600mb fiber.
Router is bridged to Asus Rt Ac88 with merlin firm 384.14_2
One gigabit port is wired to one PC. No problem with this (Pic attached)
ezfAtsW.png

The other pc, is wireless with Pce AC88 card (Cpu Intel 4790k and 16gb ram, ssd, win10)
and here is where i cant understand this result:
Zslmybk.png

i tried with channel 36, 50, 100, etc with same result on every test (or very similar)
the card is linked with good signal (i know, it's not excellent!) and good rate i think.
iV54sQy.png

also i tried with my Samsung S7 for test purposes and this is the result (about 1 meter from the router)

q9Wwcim.png

What im missing about the download speed opposite to upload speed???

Thanks in advance, im totally lost on this

hello
i dont know if this post is ok here, but i think im having a problem with the SO of the router

im have 600mb fiber.
Router is bridged to Asus Rt Ac88 with merlin firm 384.14_2
One gigabit port is wired to one PC. No problem with this (Pic attached)
ezfAtsW.png

The other pc, is wireless with Pce AC88 card (Cpu Intel 4790k and 16gb ram, ssd, win10)
and here is where i cant understand this result:
Zslmybk.png

i tried with channel 36, 50, 100, etc with same result on every test (or very similar)
the card is linked with good signal (i know, it's not excellent!) and good rate i think.
iV54sQy.png

also i tried with my Samsung S7 for test purposes and this is the result (about 1 meter from the router)

q9Wwcim.png

This is normal. You will never get wired speeds on a wireless device even if you are using 802.11ac ... You can try 10 different servers on speedtest and get all different results based on a lot of different factors. You can also try fast.com and other speed test sites. I wouldn't put much stock into any of these numbers.

Up front I consider myself a novice. As a novice I often say silly things. (I think that's ok because it often inspires smart people to say smart things.)

Your question is why is the download so much slower than the upload. A WiFi service can have many WiFi clients. I think it tends to hold back a little in an effort to be fair to everyone. A client on the other hand tends to be a little piggy. If he's got something to say he's going to say it and the neighbors be damned.

Perhaps there's a setting somewhere that would have the 88 be a little "less fair"?

But, take heart, in general, your wireless download speeds are similar to what many of my friends and family see with their high speed services.

Last edited:
q9Wwcim.png

@darivo
Are you using QoS? If so, did you possibly enter the download and upload speeds in the wrong boxes? I and others have done that before and it would cause what you see.

thanks for your answers.

the router is working anter a factory reset.
no QOS is running.

@Klueless is right; i dont mind about global speed.
I know wifi is not perfect and always comes with low speed than wired spots.

but i cant understand the difference between upload and download speeds....
is about 200mbps!!!

but i cant understand the difference between upload and download speeds.... is about 200mbps!!!
I'm going to stick with this as a "potential" answer (until an expert chimes in with the "real" answer : -)
I think the router tends to hold back a little (download) in an effort to be fair to everyone. A client (upload), on the other hand, tends to be a little piggy.
Until then you might consider playing with the "Airtime Fairness" setting?

I have at&t fiber 1000 and my note 10+ still only get 462/733 Mbps
it's just wireless for ya
but with my home wired pc,I get 936/907

@darivo, wireless is finicky with a dose of magic and prayers and hope. YMMV. And, what the theory and specs suggest isn't guaranteed. :)

We're lucky to have RMerlin fighting the good fight with us! :)

Technical enough? :D

thank you for sure, but with only 1 client in the 5ghz band its hard to me to understand how the router tried "to be fair" with everyone....
Me too. I think it was Fyodor Dostoyevsky who lamented something to the effect of, "Man is imperfect therefore everything man does will be imperfect."

Now, like I mentioned up front, I could be totally wrong about all of this but here's my thinking;

I remember back in the eighties when local area networks were just beginning to capture everyone's imagination and the company (a large one) I was working for was arguing over what LAN media to use. Ethernet was a favorite among one factor, it had been lurking for awhile. Token Ring was favored by another factor, IBM was king of all back then and it was what they were pushing.

If you ran a speed test over a quiescent network Ethernet kicked butt but in a congested network Token Ring was king. They both promoted "fairness" algorithms to manage contention for the wire (things were single wire back then, half duplex like wireless is).

Ethernet imposed minimal penalty on idle networks so performance was good. When an Ethernet LAN got busy its "play nice boys" rules didn't scale and slowed the network down to the point of crashing. Token Ring rules avoided that (but, you paid the "penalty" up front).

I see raw wireless as similar to Ethernet, it does pretty good until it gets busy.

With wireless we have an added dimension; legacy (old) clients, crappy clients, slow clients, clients on the fringe of WiFi range and they take up much bandwidth. "Fairness" is by payload and if client X takes ten times longer to send data than client Y then X gets ten times the bandwidth to accomplish the same task. This sounds nice but it severely limits total throughput.

We're a consumer society. We "take" more (download) and "give" less (upload). That's why ISP service speeds are often asymmetrical (e.g., 100 Mbps download x 10 Mbps upload). With this in mind the server, e.g., wireless router (download), can impose a second set of rules by imposing equal time allotments. If a client can swallow 500 Mbps in his time allotment good for him; if another client can only swallow 10 Mbps in his time allotment so be it.

Now the client (upload) does not use the second set of rules. If the network is idle he will simply burst as fast as he can.

But the server side (download) may use a 2nd set of rules and I have no idea what the penalty might be. Just because there aren't any other active clients doesn't mean there weren't any other clients. With Token Ring idle clients did consume bandwidth. Maybe something similar is at play?

Anyway, it's just me, an old man rambling on ... and on : -)

Last edited: