What's new

Weird problem with AX88u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gary Berg

New Around Here
I installed an AX88u in July. Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_9107.

I've got just the one router, and have separate SSID's for 2.4Ghz and 5. Same for guest network, although I don't think that played a part in this.

I've got 2 Wi-Fi attached printers. It's been working fine since July.

My wife suddenly couldn't print. Windows kept saying the printers were offline. I started to check and concluded:

A Wi-Fi device couldn't access another Wi-Fi connected device. Ping and browser, neither worked. A Wi-Fi device could access a wired device. A wired device could access a wired or Wi-Fi device. Everything could access the internet.

As part of my testing I rebooted the router both from the web interface and then later by turning the power off and back on. At no time did I make any settings changes.

I concluded that I was going to have to spend some time stripping down the network and rebuild it all.

About 3 hours after this started something printed. And everything worked right again, with Wi-Fi and wired devices being able to access each other. It seemed like for about 3 hours the router was isolating devices from each other, then quit doing it 3 hours later.

Any thoughts?

After flashing the firmware back in July, how many firmware updates have there been?

Have you ever performed a full reset to factory defaults followed by a minimal and manual configuration (M&M Config, please see the link in my signature below) to secure the router and connect to your ISP?

Do you have power 'events' like lightning, brownouts, blackouts, surges, etc.? Do you use a UPS on the network infrastructure and other important client devices?

Are you using Auto Control Channels? DFS Channels? Are you near an Airport, Military compound, Weather station, Power station?

Did any of the client devices get updates? Did the printers get firmware updates? Did the client devices just need a reboot/restart (for current Windows 10 devices, 'restart' is different from a 'shutdown' and then a 'start')?

As you can see, there are lots of potential issues (and many more than mentioned above). Are you able to narrow down what may be the issue in your network environment?

I've had same issues with my AC68U and wireless printer......first try a reset on the printer, go thru the "Wizard Connect steps on printer", has worked for me in the past with a couple of odd times it has lost connectivity to the Network.

I've had same issues with my AC68U and wireless printer......first try a reset on the printer, go thru the "Wizard Connect steps on printer", has worked for me in the past with a couple of odd times it has lost connectivity to the Network.
It's not that the printer lost conectivity, it's that for 2-3 hours the router blocked access from one Wi-Fi device to another. I couldn't ping a Wi-Fi device from another Wi-Fi device, although I could do that from a wired device on the same network. Like WiFi isolation was turned on, which was able to survive a reboot of the router, and finally turned itself off so everything went back to normal.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!