What's new

Weird reboot issue with the RT-AC86u...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shark

Regular Contributor
So i am having this really weird reboot issue with my RT-AC86u...

The issue happens when i disable and enable the lan on my desktop(the only pc connected with cable to the router) in control panel or using CMD or by just rebooting the pc, in other words, when the lan gets disabled and enabled on my pc, my router reboots! But it only reboots when the lan gets enabled, so if i just disable the lan and not enable it again, the router won't reboot.

I am using 384.10_2 with:

Diversion
Amtm
Stubby
Pixelserver
FreshJR QoS script
Ntpmerlin
Skynet

I was already having this issue with 384.9 and if i am not mistaken even before that, so 384.8 and maybe 384.7

My RT-AC86u is from china and sometimes i also have the other reboot issue that happens to some people, in other words, when you reboot the router, it will turn off all the lights and it wont come back up unless you power it off and on again.

Very odd but I'll take a stab at it....

Do you see anything in the system log of the router or in the event viewer of the PC that might shed some light on it? Another suggestion may be to redo the router config....Que @L&LD's saying of "a full reset to factory defaults is recommended if you want to get your router to a good/known state and to do further troubleshooting. An M&M Config is what I would start with". ;) Copyrighted by @L&LD .....

My RT-AC86u is from china and sometimes i also have the other reboot issue that happens to some people, in other words, when you reboot the router, it will turn off all the lights and it wont come back up unless you power it off and on again.
That is a known problem for this model. Many users have seen this, including myself. There's no fix at the moment and the cause for it to stay in that limbo state is unknown.

Very odd but I'll take a stab at it....

Do you see anything in the system log of the router or in the event viewer of the PC that might shed some light on it? Another suggestion may be to redo the router config....Que @L&LD's saying of "a full reset to factory defaults is recommended if you want to get your router to a good/known state and to do further troubleshooting. An M&M Config is what I would start with". ;) Copyrighted by @L&LD .....

I did a full reset already when i upgraded to 384.10_2!

Ill provoke this problem tomorrow and after that ill check the event log on windows and the syslog on the router and probably post both of them here.

That is a known problem for this model. Many users have seen this, including myself. There's no fix at the moment and the cause for it to stay in that limbo state is unknown.
Yeah, i know... I just mentioned it because, idk, because they could be related hehe

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!