What's new

Weird STP issue with Cisco 3750

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KRDucky

New Around Here
So, I am working on this weird Switching issue at a school and I need some advice.

The school recently added a Satellite Uplink/Downlink for their WAN. The link apparently made itself the ROOT bridge of the Main VLAN instead of the actual Management switch which is a Cisco Catalyst 3750. I advised changing the 3750 priority to 4096 to bring it back to ROOT bridge. Now, it lists as being ROOT on VLAN 1, 2, 3, and 12. There are 32 switches connected to this switch and all 32 switches are trunked on VLAN 1. The VTP has no Domain and no Domain password. At least one of the downstream switches is also trunked to another switch not connected to the 3750 also trunking on VLAN 1 which seems to me like it would cause a strange issue.
What should I do for this network to restore proper networking? My current thoughts are to redo the VLANs so that Everything trunked to the 3750 is using VLAN 99 for trunking and the VTP has a domain and domain password to prevent a rogue switch from joining the network as a server and taking everything over. Then, segmenting the ports out on the switches to using separate VLANs for different traffic. This would require reconfiguring ~ 32 switches manually and 1 of these switches is a HP switch while the rest are Cisco/Linksys switches with some being SMB switches that are limited in what you can do to them.

If I get the chance I can create a network diagram to better show the layout. But can someone tell me what I should be doing to fix the STP issue on the network for sure? I have had 4 semesters of Cisco CCNA prep school but we didnt really go in deep with STP.

Thanks.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!