What's new

What addons are you all using?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rob Q

Hi everyone,
I'd just like to know what are you using on your router with the Merlin firmware. I haven't really played around with them and was wondering what some good ones are for the average home user.

I'm currently running the RT-AC1900P with Merlin 384.17 with AiProtection. Also, to get more technical, would a USB2.0 stick work okay for a swap file? I'm using the Kingston Datatraveler 8GB DTI/8GB with the router. I also have the 1GB version but I'm not too sure if 1GB will be large enough.

All of them, including some not currently available via amtm. Not all at once, of course, but the ones you decide to keep will be specific for your network and expectations/concerns.

See my signature for what I'm currently running. :)

I run those listed in my signature

Hi everyone,
I'd just like to know what are you using on your router with the Merlin firmware. I haven't really played around with them and was wondering what some good ones are for the average home user.

I'm currently running the RT-AC1900P with Merlin 384.17 with AiProtection. Also, to get more technical, would a USB2.0 stick work okay for a swap file? I'm using the Kingston Datatraveler 8GB DTI/8GB with the router. I also have the 1GB version but I'm not too sure if 1GB will be large enough.

IMHO, Skynet & Diversion are the ‘must haves’.
(Personally, I give pixelserv, a Diversion option, a miss though.)
They play nice together, & work well to block a lot of unwanted internet crud.

Re USB, better results appear to be had by larger/faster units. YMMV.
Your 8gb stick should be worth a go. 2gb swap file size seems to be recommended, so your 1gb stick might be a tad too small.:)

The only thing that I have installed right now is amtm. Nothing else is set up.
upload_2020-7-15_19-30-38.png

Edit: Just installed a 2GB swapfile and the disk check utility.
I don't know what most of these things are for or if I need them. Okay, Skynet and Diversion would work but not sure about the rest. Heck, I don't really know what they do.

upload_2020-7-15_20-2-41.png

Last edited:
Actually, is anyone here using the DNSFilter in the LAN settings?

Yes, I have NextDNS client installed but my IoT stuff is DNS filtered to use 8.8.8.8 for DNS.

View attachment 24709

I don't know what most of these things are for or if I need them. Okay, Skynet and Diversion would work but not sure about the rest. Heck, I don't really know what they do.

View attachment 24710
Go for Skynet. Easy to install and use script, plus you get a new, mature layer of security for your network on top of your router's firewall and AIProtection (if you're using that).

Actually, is anyone here using the DNSFilter in the LAN settings?

I use DNSFilter to force my Chromecast's DNS request through my router and thus Diversion. I believe Chromecast as well as other Google devices are hard coded to Google's 8.8.8.8 DNS. Using the filter will also help my friends devices to benefit from Diversion in the event that their device is set to a specific DNS provider.

Diversion & Skynet are no-brainers. Also running NTPMerlin just for kicks.

View attachment 24709

View attachment 24710

I would stick with Skynet & Diversion for starters.
As/if your interest increases, you may go for some of the others.

Running all listed in my signature. Although I want to use YazFi, as it would be great to make proper use of the guest accounts on the AX88U. Will have to wait until the router is not being used by anyone before installing.

Will also look into NTPMerling as well.

I've got Diversion Lite, Skynet, scribe, scMerlin and uiScribe installed. I might enable logging in Diversion and install uiDivStats.
RAM used: 168/256MB
Swap: 0.00 / 2048.00 MB
CPU temp: 80c.

Dumb question but can Skynet or Diversion slow down your internet connection? I am experiencing a slowdown but then there is a problem with the cable system in town which is messing up the upstream and downstream levels in my modem. My 40/10 Mbps service is currently at 30/7 Mbps.
Or maybe I've installed too much on the AC1900P?

Dumb question but can Skynet or Diversion slow down your internet connection? I am experiencing a slowdown but then there is a problem with the cable system in town which is messing up the upstream and downstream levels in my modem. My 40/10 Mbps service is currently at 30/7 Mbps.
No.

No, that has not been my experience. I tested both before and after script installation with a number of the bandwidth tests available on the internet. There was no difference. Enabling QoS does seem to lower the absolute download speed in my case, but I don't have it enabled, and I can't speak to the technical aspects of QoS operation.

When my bandwidth speeds seem to to drag, I reboot my cable modem. That usually helps, and is what my ISP, Comcast recommends.

Good luck,
Anton

Hey guys what do you think about my scripts i just do gaming and streaming i have also installed unbound should i also install skynet? or does diversion the same as skynet ?
What helps for the router Performance
Scipts in the signature ;-)