What's new

Entware What are your favorite entware packages to install on your routers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

domic

Regular Contributor
I'm interested in what the community is running besides the usual AMTM scripts and packages included. :

Packages to add to router via SSH opkg install X (my install notes). I try to keep the adds limited

AMTM +
  1. atop
  2. curl
  3. drill
  4. htop
  5. openssl-utils
  6. procps-ng-kill
  7. procps-ng
  8. rrdtool
  9. sysstat
  10. tcpdump
  11. screen (allows scripts to continue running in background)
  12. openssh-sftp-server ** (Beyond Compare uses this, mobaxterm uses this) WINSCP does not, can run natively.

rsync thats it

I too have a love for the following:
curl
htop (I'm never going back to top after this)
screen (best freaking discovery ever for remote work with constant connection timeouts happening)
fish (the closest shell I've found to my liking so far, Oh my ZSH! was nice too)
nano (pico on some limited embedded devices)
openssh-sftp-server (some of my Android File managers work best with SFTP and I don't love FTP or SMB If I can choose not to use them)
rclone
syncthing
transmission related packages
mc

Probably others I haven't remembered yet.

Wish we had chsh on Entware though. I do love me my fish shell

None. I have no need for any add-ons at this time

The first wave I typically put on:

props-ng-ps
htop
iperf3
rsync
file
adb

I just did an “opkg list-installed | wc -l” and have 280 packages - some installed from the various addons.
Some “experimenting”. I really need to cleanup my router…

amtm ep gives a nice formatted list

curl and nano are both included in Asuswrt-Merlin, there's no need to install them through Entware.

None. I have no need for any add-ons at this time
That reminds me of The Family trip to Vegas

Security: "No corrective lenses tonight Mr Papagiorgio?"
Rusty: "No sir, I do not require them."

EDIT: I only use what is required for scripts in use.

Last edited:
The first wave I typically put on:

props-ng-ps
htop
iperf3
rsync
file
adb

I just did an “opkg list-installed | wc -l” and have 280 packages - some installed from the various addons.
Some “experimenting”. I really need to cleanup my router…
Holy crap. You got an entire Desktop Environment with X11/Wayland and misc on there or something?

Holy crap. You got an entire Desktop Environment with X11/Wayland and misc on there or something?
Close - I had installed a complete development environment on my AX88U to compile chrony from source quite a while ago - before it was available in Entware. I suspect gcc and all it’s libs have a lot to do with the number!

Guess I'm special... I'm also a relatively new scripting n00b, but I really appreciate:

timeout

...due to some weird glitch in my router that makes things hang at times. But in addition to this:

htop - really opened my eyes compare to "top"
screen - really really opened my eyes compared to using other 3rd party utilities to run scripts
nano - really my first eye-opening experience in ways to edit scripts directly on the router

Keep 'em coming! ;)

I'm also a relatively new scripting n00b,
We all begin as newbies. Just experiment with what you want to try out and you'll get better over time. I'm no scripting genius but I find it very fun to be able to put together what I want with the right motivation and keywords in the search engine.
Learn by having fun, dear internet friend!

A newbie tech tip for you btw: run test setups in virtual machines/docker/QEMU or something, or a spare router if you aren't the only one living under the same roof so their internet reliability doesn't get affected during labbing. :)

Wish we had chsh on Entware though. I do love me my fish shell
Maybe this helps?

I use that to have zsh as my default shell on my ASUS router.

So, zsh is one of the Entware packages I install (as well as several coreutils-* packages).