What's new

What clever SSH shortcuts do you use?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brtravel

Occasional Visitor
My friends consider me tech savvy, but that's a low bar, I am quickly lost on command line instructions so I've previously only used the GUI for my Merlin router. However last year Apple made their Shortcuts app a lot more powerful and useful, and I've been having fun automating some things in my phone and in my life, for instance telling Siri to turn on my router VPN. I should think Android phones have a way to quickly run SSH commands as well.

What SSH functions do you regularly use with your Merlin router?

Here's a few I've picked up recently:
  • reboot
  • service restart_wan
  • nvram get vpn_client1_state
  • service start_vpnclient1
  • service stop_vpnclient1

My friends consider me tech savvy, but that's a low bar, I am quickly lost on command line instructions so I've previously only used the GUI for my Merlin router. However last year Apple made their Shortcuts app a lot more powerful and useful, and I've been having fun automating some things in my phone and in my life, for instance telling Siri to turn on my router VPN. I should think Android phones have a way to quickly run SSH commands as well.

What SSH functions do you regularly use with your Merlin router?

Here's a few I've picked up recently:
  • reboot
  • service restart_wan
  • nvram get vpn_client1_state
  • service start_vpnclient1
  • service stop_vpnclient1
I wrote scMerlin so I wouldn't need to remember the commands :)

I have a few in my configs/profile.add which link to an alias script:
Code:
service() { /jffs/scripts/alias.sh service "$@"; }
enable() { /jffs/scripts/alias.sh enable "$@"; }
disable() { /jffs/scripts/alias.sh disable "$@"; }
start() { /jffs/scripts/alias.sh start "$@"; }
stop() { /jffs/scripts/alias.sh stop "$@"; }
restart() { /jffs/scripts/alias.sh restart "$@"; }
opkg() { /jffs/scripts/alias.sh opkg "$@"; }

service extends to entware services, and also shows useful output if you make a typo instead of just "Done."
enable/disable to change entware services autostarting
start/stop/restart shortcuts for "service start_", etc
opkg to colour the output, and a couple of subcommand shortcuts eg) "opkg ls" for "opkg list-installed"

anyone know the command to query the internet connection status?

edit: pinging google (ping -c 1 -q google.com)
accomplishes this pretty well, but I wonder if someone knows exactly how to query specifically the "Internet status: " field in the Network Map GUI?

Last edited:

accomplishes this pretty well, but I wonder if someone knows exactly how to query specifically the "Internet status: " field in the Network Map GUI?
Try
Code:
nvram get link_internet
2 is normal.

If you frequently do script editing on the router, create /jffs/configs/nanorc with the following content:

Code:
set nowrap

syntax "sh" "\.sh$"
header "^#!.*((ba|da|k|pdk)?sh[-0-9_]*|openrc-run|runscript)"
magic "(POSIX|Bourne-Again) shell script.*text"
linter dash -n
comment "#"

icolor brightgreen "^[0-9A-Z_]+\(\)"
color green "\<(break|case|continue|do|done|elif|else|esac|exit|fi|for|function|if|in|read|return|select|shift|then|time|until|while)\>"
color green "\<(declare|eval|exec|export|let|local)\>"
color green "[{}():;|`$<>!=&\\]" "(\]|\[)"
color green "-[Ldefgruwx]\>"
color green "-(eq|ne|gt|lt|ge|le|s|n|z)\>"
color brightblue "\<(awk|cat|cd|ch(grp|mod|own)|cp|echo|env|grep|install|ln|make|mkdir|mv|popd|printf|pushd|rm|rmdir|sed|set|tar|touch|umask|unset)\>"

# Basic variable names (no braces).
color brightred "\$[-0-9@*#?$!]" "\$[[:alpha:]_][[:alnum:]_]*"
# More complicated variable names; handles braces and replacements and arrays.
color brightred "\$\{[#!]?([-@*#?$!]|[0-9]+|[[:alpha:]_][[:alnum:]_]*)(\[([[:space:]]*[[:alnum:]_]+[[:space:]]*|@)\])?(([#%/]|:?[-=?+])[^}]*\}|\[|\})"

# Comments.
color cyan "(^|[[:space:]])#.*$"

# Strings.
color brightyellow ""(\\.|[^"])*"" "'(\\.|[^'])*'"

# Trailing whitespace.
color ,green "[[:space:]]+$"

Wot no Vi[m] or Emacs !!!
:eek: ;)

<JK>

;)Be careful, it may break google.
My way may not be as simple as @dave14305, but it is very useful for me.
Code:
rm_ipadr="$(nslookup "$(nvram get dns_probe_host)" 2>/dev/null | grep -A1 'Name' | grep -v 'Name' | awk '{print $3}')"
lc_ipadr1="$(nvram get dns_probe_content | awk '{print $1}')"
lc_ipadr2="$(nvram get dns_probe_content | awk '{print $2}')"
if [ "$rm_ipadr" = "$lc_ipadr1" ] || [ "$rm_ipadr" = "$lc_ipadr2" ]; then
     echo "OK"
fi

Hi Guys I've followed a link provided by JDB from my previous post.
Been using merlin f/w for yonks now very successfully and have recently got netflix on my tv but unless I do a bypass of the vpn for it it does'nt stream and the bypass leaves me unprotected according to my vpn site when I viit their site. So do any of you guys know of a way to control the vpn from an iphone without messing about with the pc and logging in etc.
I have the asus router app installed to check my lan as I have three routers on it but it does'nt cover the vpn.
The main router with the vpn installed is the asus rt-ax88u, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

When I want to take down a device cleanly because I'm going to remove the power, I don't like guessing by the LED sequence... so i
sync;sync;halt

I have a few in my configs/profile.add which link to an alias script:
Code:
service() { /jffs/scripts/alias.sh service "$@"; }
enable() { /jffs/scripts/alias.sh enable "$@"; }
disable() { /jffs/scripts/alias.sh disable "$@"; }
start() { /jffs/scripts/alias.sh start "$@"; }
stop() { /jffs/scripts/alias.sh stop "$@"; }
restart() { /jffs/scripts/alias.sh restart "$@"; }
opkg() { /jffs/scripts/alias.sh opkg "$@"; }

service extends to entware services, and also shows useful output if you make a typo instead of just "Done."
enable/disable to change entware services autostarting
start/stop/restart shortcuts for "service start_", etc
opkg to colour the output, and a couple of subcommand shortcuts eg) "opkg ls" for "opkg list-installed"
I've been looking on your repo and you've some interesting stuff :) thanks!
Is it possible to install shellcheck on this router and do the checks without going to their website?

I've been looking on your repo and you've some interesting stuff :) thanks!
Is it possible to install shellcheck on this router and do the checks without going to their website?

Unfortunately not, shellcheck is written is haskell which... well there's info here. It might be easier to transliterate shellcheck into another language than compile it for routers.

It might be easier to transliterate shellcheck into another language than compile it for routers.
Or....even easier .....use a Shellcheck aware editor.? ;)

i.e. Windows users should be using WinSCP, and rather than use it's native Linux aware editor, WinSCP can be customised to use any external Linux aware editor.

e.g. I obviously have notepad++ installed, but I also installed Atom editor with Linter aka Shellcheck

In the WinSCP drop down I can select which editor to use on the router scripts:

upload_2020-5-2_15-12-51.png

and shellcheck provides instant 'helpful' hints on my bad coding habits :rolleyes::rolleyes:

e.g. 7 shellcheck Warnings, and the onehighlighted:

'Remove surrounding $() to avoid executing output [SC2091]'

upload_2020-5-2_15-15-9.png

Or....even easier .....use a Shellcheck aware editor.? ;)

i.e. Windows users should be using WinSCP, and rather than use it's native Linux aware editor, WinSCP can be customised to use any external Linux aware editor.

e.g. I obviously have notepad++ installed, but I also installed Atom editor with Linter aka Shellcheck

In the WinSCP drop down I can select which editor to use on the router scripts:

View attachment 23212

and shellcheck provides instant 'helpful' hints on my bad coding habits :rolleyes::rolleyes:

e.g. 7 shellcheck Warnings, and the onehighlighted:

'Remove surrounding $() to avoid executing output [SC2091]'

View attachment 23213
I couldn’t figure out what I was missing to get linter to work in Atom when starting from nothing.
Edit: IIRC, it wanted a pointer to an exe which I didn’t have.

Last edited:
Obviously there's lots of alternatives for desktop OS's, notepad++ plugins to full IDEs. Having shellcheck on the router itself could help stop silly mistakes while making quick and dirty edits though ssh.

How does
Code:
$(Smart_LineInsert "$FN" "$(echo -e "sh /jffs/addons/unbound/unbound.postconf \"\$1\"\t\t# unbound_manager")" )
differ from
Code:
Smart_LineInsert "$FN" "$(echo -e "sh /jffs/addons/unbound/unbound.postconf \"\$1\"\t\t# unbound_manager")"

Unfortunately not, shellcheck is written is haskell which... well there's info here. It might be easier to transliterate shellcheck into another language than compile it for routers.
Sad enough.
Most of my own scripts have been written via an Android ssh client (using then nano), while I'm procrastinating on the couch, having an insomnia, of even while I'm pooping :p:p:p

Yesterday, with a insomnia, I wrote a script that toggles VPN client on/off, connects to a random AirVPN server (or manually sets one, and verify if it's valid), and gets VPN client status. Relatively simple, but written via my smartphone :p

Later today night, I'll go to my PC and run in through shellcheck to see if everythings ok. As for now, it's working as intended and that's what matter.

I couldn’t figure out what I was missing to get linter to work in Atom when starting from nothing.
Edit: IIRC, it wanted a pointer to an exe which I didn’t have.
Did you download the shellcheck-xxxxxxx .exe?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!