What's new

What does it mean when ISP doesn't provide IPv6?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have 2 Xbox Ones (3 previously) running with IPV4 only. No issues at all and they all have Open NAT. It's been setup like this for a few years! I do have UPnP enabled though!

It's not about "certification" only. Read below why this ISP may not want to do it:

Nice edit to take the point of that post totally out of the intended context

Not my intention. Just saying if the ISP doesn't offer IPv6 now in late 2022, probably it won't be offering it any time soon. Obviously the business is going well without the need for extra investments.

Not my intention. Just saying if the ISP doesn't offer IPv6 now in late 2022, probably it won't be offering it any time soon. Obviously the business is going well without the need for extra investments.
Or they might flip the switch on tomorrow.
you know what happens when you assume, right? (it's possible the ISP doesn't know that they can, and has all the stuff in place on their end to do so, but because "we don't support" has been the party line for so long, nobody has questioned or looked into it. there's such a thing as institutional inertia and brainfog)

you know what happens when you assume, right?

Yes, most of the time my assumptions are correct. The reason my businesses are all going well and I can chat with you from my summer house close to the beach in a nice warm country.

it's possible the ISP doesn't know

I'm assuming they know very well what equipment they have available and what it can do. I'm also assuming this ISP is tied with upstream larger ISP. Does it make sense to you with your TekSavvy*?

* - Canadian ISP using Bell, Rogers, Cogeco, etc. big players infrastructure.

man seeing that as a gamer would definitely be a tough pill to swallow.
... and even tougher as a parent trying to convince the gamer that the problem is on the XBox server...

FWIW, we have an XBox One in the house & our ISP doesn't support IPv6 (at least not passed onto us - they may on their back end). XBox services seem to work fine (most of the time).

Yes, most of the time my assumptions are correct. The reason my businesses are all going well and I can chat with you from my summer house close to the beach in a nice warm country.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I cannot roll my eyes hard enough with emojis lol
I'm assuming they know very well what equipment they have available and what it can do. I'm also assuming this ISP is tied with upstream larger ISP. Does it make sense to you with your TekSavvy*?

* - Canadian ISP using Bell, Rogers, Cogeco, etc. big players infrastructure.
It does, but I also know that front line support isn't always given correct information in a timely manner - with that ISP, I've often had to get elevated a level or two to the people who really know their stuff

It does, but I also know that front line support isn't always given correct information

You don't need to call. Just turn IPv6 on on your side and see if it works. I also have TekSavvy accounts and IPv6 become available only when the infrastructure used allowed IPv6. Some people on TekSavvy still have no IPv6 support. Not to mention it doesn't make any difference and there is no rush. My accounts are on Rogers Cable. Every modem has 2x external IPv4 addresses available. I can make two separate networks with different external IP addresses on a single modem, all IPv4. You don't need IPv6 either.

Zero problems when I had IPv6 restricted and using IP4 only on Xbox Series X, One and PS4. That is definitely not an issue.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!