What's new

What happened to RT-AX86u?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I believe the path of Ever Given before it stuck describes well what happened:

View attachment 32567
Oh yeah.
Captain.jpg

Expect electronic devices availability to remain problematic throughout 2021. It's no longer just a GPU issue, supply issues are affecting a lot of other devices. The automobile industry is the latest victim, as production lines have had to be shut down due to lack of availability on electronic parts required as part of modern cars.

It's anything that needs chips. The PS5 and XBOX Series X would have been readily available by now in normal circumstances and they are still nowhere to be found.

I got lucky getting the AX86u--and I basically paid MSRP at 250.

Update for those in the U.S. looking to purchase a RT-AX86U. It's not always shown when you do a search on their site but you can find it available there if you dig around for it. At the time of this post they are available from Amazon right now for $244.99 USD. If you miss this Amazon inventory re-stock then keep checking back every few days. They always seem to get them back in stock. They just sell out quickly.

Last edited:
I got mine off one of the two posted asus links on the asus website. I just kept checking in off and on, and bam, showed available and I purchased. It may have been the Asus international, which will ship from Cali.

Not demand related. Low supplies in some regions, perhaps pandemic related. Ready to ship tomorrow from at least 3 retailers around my place.

Not demand related. Low supplies in some regions, perhaps pandemic related. Ready to ship tomorrow from at least 3 retailers around my place.
Asus's most popular five star reviewed AX/Wifi 6 router constantly sold out, backordered or low in inventory since August of last year... while many other AX/Wifi models and brands are abundant but that's "not demand related?"

I've been replacing all the Wifi routers I manage with the AX86U. It's one of the best performing and most reliable consumer grade Wifi routers I've ever owned. I ordered two more this week from Amazon for business use (I've purchased a total of six of them) and they are set to arrive five days after the order despite the one month estimate time to ship.

Last edited:
I got two also, but they cost me over 300 each. I didn't want to pay that, but couldn't wait until June. Some are priced over 500 in a walmart search.

constantly sold out

As I said perhaps regional shortage in some places. Quick check shows available to ship at local BestBuy, Staples, Newegg and Amazon. 50+ available at computer store, walk-in and available to ship. Our local Asus market manager is doing a better job. Current price is 260USD everywhere. I believe it was on sale few weeks back for less.

I got tired of looking. Better than 500.

As I said perhaps regional shortage in some places. Quick check shows available to ship at local BestBuy, Staples, Newegg and Amazon. 50+ available at computer store, walk-in and available to ship. Our local Asus market manager is doing a better job. Current price is 260USD everywhere. I believe it was on sale few weeks back for less.
I just checked online for the U.S.. This is not just regional... BestBuy - sold out, Staples - not available, NewEgg - 3rd party $307.99 USD, Amazon - ship now from third party for $324 or wait for Amazon inventory re-stock to ship at regular price, B & H - est. availability in 2-4 weeks, MicroCenter - limited in-store availability only at select stores. I haven't recently seen it available at local stores at all.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!