What's new

what is the best wireless consumer router for security?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

snort is some serious trick power, and for it and other serious IPS/IDS tools, processing muscle and ram are needed... a low-dollar stripped down micro board isn't going to work (for long)...

as to the point of this thread - the difference between consumer and semi-pro routers and their performance isn't about price-point today (unless you don't want to be bothered or are unable to configure something complex)... it's best accomplished leveraging what's proven to work in hardware and software, without wasting your time wondering why some best-buy router (even a $300 buck model) continually pukes on your shoes...

Last edited:
snort is some serious trick power, and for it and other serious IPS/IDS tools, processing muscle and ram are needed... a low-dollar stripped down micro board isn't going to work (for long)...

as to the point of this thread - the difference between consumer and semi-pro routers and their performance isn't about price-point today (unless you don't want to be bothered or are unable to configure something complex)... it's best accomplished leveraging what's proven to work in hardware and software, without wasting your time wondering why some best-buy router (even a $300 buck model) continually pukes on your shoes...

i use to use tripwire too back in the days. when checking on it a few years back it seemed to be mostly enterprise only now. wonder if thats changed.

getting rid of asus for good this time. i'm tired of being a glutton for punishment. I tried, but the ac86u is total garbage. Gonna try the mikrotik. I don't even care about vpn speeds anymore. I just want something that doesn't drop wireless connections, has a real working firewall and vlans. And if that doesn't work out for me then i guess i'm gonna have to shell out the money for a router box and access points....

update: the mikrotik hap ac3 is out of stock everywhere or selling for like 4x the regular cost. I give up lmao....

Last edited:
eh, the mikrotik ac3 does not seem to have better range then the ac2, which is poorer range then the ac66u_b1 by some accounts. looks like its not an option.

jeez.... the cost is starting to add up. its gonna cost me between $430 to $600, thinking of getting the cheaper i3 qotom with pfsense or untangle, a unifi wap and mini controller. hopefully it comes with poe injector and i only need one wap and no extra switch. plus all of extra headache setting up all the hardware and software since I have noone to hold my hand. the $180 ac86u would be heaven sent if it didn't just keep crashing or dropping 2.4ghz devices. this is depressing.

eh, the mikrotik ac3 does not seem to have better range then the ac2, which is poorer range then the ac66u_b1 by some accounts. looks like its not an option.

Wondering why you think the AC3 doesn't have better range than the AC2? The only real difference is the more powerful antennas.

Wondering why you think the AC3 doesn't have better range than the AC2? The only real difference is the more powerful antennas.
I had read that in a forum somewhere. Maybe thats incorrect and i'm confusing it with another model. My question is how would that compare with say an asus ac68u? From what i've read the wireless range on the ac2 is atrocious and much worse in comparison to the ac68U when reading amazon accounts on those exact models to be sure.

Decided to just go back to my ac66u_b1 and save my money for now. it works fine. I might turn an old i5 pc I have laying around into a router with untangled, pfsense or sophos. Still deciding. I'm leaning towards sophos right now after doing alot of research. Not sure the power savings of buying a $300-$400 mini itx box will ever add up lol. I will get a unifi long range ap using a raspberry pi 3B+i have laying around as the controller. so all i'd really be buying is the wap for like $100 to $130 which hopefully comes with the poe injector.

the $90 ac66u_b1 is all I really need for my 30+ devices on my network mostly iot devices on 2.4ghz. with basic security and qos with openvpn and vlans. I guess the only thing I would missing on is faster openvpn, which I don't need. and a more advanced IPS/IDS which I probably don't need. The only reason for me to upgrade right now would be to tinker and waste money..

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!