What's new

What nic has best throughput and low CPU overhead?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

For 10/100, it doesn't really matter.

For gigabit, use PCI-E vs. PCI if your machine supports it.

Intel!

Intel has about the best NICs around IMO.

Edit: PCI < PCIx < PCI-E. definatly use PCI E if you have the option. the embedded ones are decent too, depending on which one you use. if you have an nforce board for example for the nvidia mcp outlet gets slightly better performance than the yukon due to the routing and hardware they go through on the mobo.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of 3COM and Intel Pro NICs.

NIC benchmarks are hard to find, but I do recall one that I found a few years ago, I recall the Netgear FA311 or something like that taking the award, and the nForce NIC doing very well also.

Also of notice from my own home....quite identicle PCs...1 had the onboard nForce, another an Intel or something, both same CPU, same vid card, same OS, same amount of RAM, same internet connection....fired up Battlefield on each of them..logging onto the same public server from the same router at home..the nForce consistently had a lower ping by about 10ms.

Realtek are more widely used although cheaper I really don't have problem with their chipsets. Intel Pro, 3Com and the rest are okay. Speed will vary due to hardware enhancements and features.

For 10/100, it doesn't really matter.

For gigabit, use PCI-E vs. PCI if your machine supports it.

I know you prefer PCI-E but for those of us here who have PCI can use freeware program called Teracopy there is also a pro version but that's not free. The program using 256KB buffer which can be increase or decrease to reduce file transfer.

What about PC-Cards like 32-bit and Express ones for laptops? Have you ever done testing on them? The ones from TP-LINK TL-WN811N to me this one is the same one that Dlink sells as the DWA-652 there is also the one from Encore Electronics ENPWI-N 17dBM max transmitter both are only $29 bucks online. TP-LINK has 20dBM max on the transmitter. Trendnet has two of them also cost is extra $20 bucks more.

Last edited:
I haven't done testing on PC cards. PCMCIA and Cardbus should have similar limits to PCI. Express card should be same/similar to PCIe X1.

I haven't done testing on PC cards. PCMCIA and Cardbus should have similar limits to PCI. Express card should be same/similar to PCIe X1.

Okay here what do you think about these specs for Draft-N 300mbps PCMCIA 32-bit? Yeah or Nah?

Key Specifications/Special Features:

* Methods of operation: infrastructure and Ad-Hoc
* Adopts MIMO technology for wireless rates of up to 300Mbps
* Adopts CCA technology which automatically avoids channel conflicts using its channel selection features
* Quick Secure Setup and complies with WPS for worry free wireless security
* Supports 64/128/152-bit WEP encryptions, as well as WPA/WPA2, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK encryptions and mechanisms
* Supports Roaming technology and guaranteeing efficient wireless connections

* Specifications:
o Protocols and standards: IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n (draft 2.0) and CSMA/CA with acknowledgement
o Frequency band: 2.4 to 2.4835GHz, 5GHz
o Radio data rate: 270/243/216/162/108/81/54/48/36/24/18/12/9/6/11/5.5/3/2/1Mbps (auto rate sensing)
o Extend frequency: DSSS

o Sensitivity @ PER:
+ 270M: -68dBm@10% PER
+ 130M: -68dBm@10% PER
+ 108M: -68dBm@10% PER
+ 54M: -68dBm@10% PER
+ 11M: -85dBm@8% PER
+ 6M: -88dBm@10% PER
+ 1M: -90dBm@8% PER

o Transmit power: 20dBm (maximum)
o Data security: WPA/WPA2, WEP and TKIP/AES

o Environment:

+ Temperature:
# Operating: 0 to 40°C
# Storage: -40 to 70°C
+ Humidity:

# Operating: 10 to 90% non-condensing
# Storage: 5% to 90% non-condensing
o Operating systems: Windows 2000/XP/Vista

Last edited:
Tim that question was posted towards you? What do you think? I know you do most of the testing on your site. If I compare that to what I have now which I really can't since most USA sellers don't display all technical specs of the above as most users don't really care only if it has 802.11n, Draft-N 300mbps 2.4GHz and that's fast, that about it. I like how you take things apart to find out what ticks but no one has done that with the DLINK DWA-652, it has been reviewed and un-boxed that about it.

I have 3x of the above on hold, was going for 4, but I don't need it. With the soon new laptop I'll make sure it has Express-Card feature or 10/100/1000mbps with 802.11n. Which the mini-pci can be taken out and replaced with a faster wireless NIC in most laptops on the market. Comes out cheaper also than using the PCMCIA 32-bit connection.

Thanks for any feedback you have to share..

Tipstir, yeah or nay what? I never read the performance specs for wireless cards or routers. To me, they are irrelevant due to the nature of wireless and variation in operating environments.

If you tell me what the make and model of the card is, then I can comment on it if I have used it. If it is the D-Link DWA-652, I used it as a test client with the DIR-655 and didn't give me any problems.

Tipstir, yeah or nay what? I never read the performance specs for wireless cards or routers. To me, they are irrelevant due to the nature of wireless and variation in operating environments.

If you tell me what the make and model of the card is, then I can comment on it if I have used it. If it is the D-Link DWA-652, I used it as a test client with the DIR-655 and didn't give me any problems.

This is the original manufacturer specs who makes hardware components for DW-652 for DLINK. I'll order non-dlink label versions and see how it goes. I'll report back after I have received/installed. Thanks Tim

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!