What's new

What router to choose

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thank you.
my isp line is 1 Gbit (i measured 425Mbit/s down / 325Mbit/s up right now on wired) .I plan to cover 2 floors and a basement . 1 floor is around 70 m2 / 750 ft2.
2xA68u is little less than $400.
would you advise buying 2xAX68U instead of one AX86u and a cheaper one for node?

With effectively 'only' 750 SqFt in a 3D space, a single RT-AX86U would not only be cheaper than all other options, but it will also be the best because a single router should cover your area fully and give better than seamless roaming (because there will be no roaming with a single router).

I would not recommend connecting anything less than another RT-AX86U (in a wired backhaul) if you want the full benefits the main RT-AX86U will offer. Again, use any existing routers as Media Bridge's instead, for your wired capable clients (if actually needed).

With measured 425/325 Mbps speeds on a wired computer, are you sure you have 1Gbps service?

If a node is really necessary for your environment (I don't see how though, from all the information given), I would buy an RT-AX86U as the main router, and an RT-AX68U as the node. This would be until you can buy another RT-AX86U and sell the RT-AX68U at that future point.

With such a small area to cover though, a single well-placed and properly setup main router such as the RT-AX86U (and possibly even the RT-AX68U, depending on your expectations) will give you more than you need and will greatly exceed your 'mesh' expectations too (the only thing possibly better, at 10x the cost would be an enterprise system at that point such as Ruckus, etc.).

Single AP will result in the same dead spots behind reinforced concrete structures. Even if the router can penetrate the obstacle somehow, the weak client radio talking back to the router won't be able to. I'm in doubt single enterprise class AP will do any better. It has to be multi-AP system with target zone coverage. Concrete floor slabs tell me @cengoe is perhaps somewhere in Europe. If that's the case the routers there comply to different power regulations than ours in North America. What we know works well here in our wooden stick houses may not work well for @cengoe.

It depends on which AP is used. Worth at least testing the top-recommended router today to find out.

@cengoe, what router do you currently use, and need so many additional AP's with, in your 750 SqFt space? I would be surprised if it's anything 'current'.

By the way, this is closely related thread with similar obstacles and AX86U experiment:

Its an LG G8s. it would indeed switch if the unreachable were turned off,
Then it is still seeing the other 2.4 GHz AP. If you shut it (or both) 2.4 GHz AP radios off, then the phone will switch APs.

Yes, your phone should be able to move among any SSIDs that it is been previously authenticated with. But, because it can still see the other 2.4 GHz AP, it won't switch automatically. But with different SSIDs, at least you'd have the option of manually moving it to another AP.

If your AP has transmit power control, you can try reducing the 2.4 GHz radio level on both APs instead of completely shutting them off.

I've not recommended any AC class routers for a long time time.

Not comparable to AX class.

Thank you guys, I really appreciate the activity on the question. I indeed live in Europe and my current antenna is mediocre in penetrating the concrete + floor heating. for example in the basement i got only signal directly below the router, and a few other small spots, and thats it. probably max 20% of the area. Or 1 floor above - even when I do have signal, a skype call can lag very much.
thats why my assumption was that i will not do much better with a 1 router setup, even if its somewhat better.

the currently used basment AP i mentioned is not important - i just used it as example to understand the theory. its a range extender and it wont be used on the long run.
i just understood what transmit power control is - thank you
thx for the other post reference too, it was useful.

on the 1gb line: it is officially a gigabit line, yes. today its 730/325. sometimes its less, but thats how a gigabit line is around here

right now im pretty happy by the idea of tech9's omada setup suggestion. i strongly consider it. only drawback for me is my lack of networking knowledge and fear that i wont use half of the possibilities :)

only drawback for me is my lack of networking knowledge

Do you have local Amazon and/or options to return hardware?

If you do and your requirements are really not high, Qualcomm based TP-Link Deco M4 works really well as basic multi-AP system. If you wire the satellites, you can expect 500Mbps to 2-stream AC client close to each satellite. It's super simple to install and so-called Tether app is good. I did one 2-pack system for a friend of mine and he's super happy. It can work as Router + 2x Satellites and as Access Point system only, wired and wireless. One SSID with band steering, 2-stream AC Wave 2, beamforming. Catch - there is no option for separate SSID's. It's on sale for $130 for 3-pack at my local Amazon.

Hardware revision V3 is the latest one. I believe it has Web GUI as well, but you can control it from the app super easy.

Last edited:
Do you have local Amazon and/or options to return hardware?

If you do and your requirements are really not high, Qualcomm based TP-Link Deco M4 works really well as basic multi-AP system. If you wire the satellites, you can expect 500Mbps to 2-stream AC client close to each satellite. It's super simple to install and so-called Tether app is good. I did one 2-pack system for a friend of mine and he's super happy. It can work as Router + 2x Satellites and as Access Point system only, wired and wireless. One SSID with band steering, 2-stream AC Wave 2, beamforming. Catch - there is no option for separate SSID's. It's on sale for $130 for 3-pack at my local Amazon.

Hardware revision V3 is the latest one. I believe it has Web GUI as well, but you can control it from the app super easy.
Thank you again, and you are right, thats exactly what i should install based on my current knowledge. Too bad I fell in love with the modularity of the omada. So im going down on that way.
I already started to investigate my possibilities.
Question for that: ive read controller software can be installed on any computer. I do have an ubuntu running 24/7 because of Home Assistant. Do you think I could use it instead of the dedicated OC200 hardware?
On the switch: In the tp-link community forum ive found a deco vs omada thread, and in there they wrote
'If you are going controller, I would recommend you rethink the TL-SG105PE switches, choose something that can handle the SDN.. SG2008P for example.' Now im not sure if the SG108 is similar to the SG105 you suggested (comparison pages just list a bunch of tech spec), but wanted to ask what do you think about that statement.

I do have an ubuntu running 24/7

Here you go:

In this case you don't need the hardware controller. The software is the same.

choose something that can handle the SDN

Yes, you can go for JetStream switch with Omada SDN integration, but it will be more expensive*.

TL-SG2008P is 8-port (4-port PoE+)
TL-SG2210MP is 10-port (8-port PoE+)

* - I like SG108PE (SG105xx is 5-port version) because its cheap and the same physical size as ER605 router. Makes the system look much better. If you can make your own nice cable management, the final product will look very professional and with multiple satisfying to watch blinking LEDs. Imagine this setup with same size units:

Untitled_omada.png

Sorry, I'm a perfectionist. I may sacrifice some functionality for aesthetics. :)

I plan to use Cisco small business networking hardware for my daughter's new house this summer. I have had good luck for many years with Cisco equipment. I have used it in my current house for many years. They are dependable for firmware updates. I can't say that for TP-Link.

I plan to use Cisco small business networking hardware

Doesn't fit the budget. And no one here wants to pay subscription fees to unlock features.

Doesn't fit the budget. And no one here wants to pay subscription fees to unlock features.
You have no idea what you are talking about with Cisco small business networking equipment.

I have been running the same equipment for many years, which is cheaper in the long run. Most people have bought multiple devices by now.

You have no idea what you are talking about with Cisco small business networking equipment.

No idea whatsoever. Only 3x RV345P routers and 16x WAP571 access points currently, with 1x RV320 and 4x WAP321 still in use.

No idea whatsoever. Only 3x RV345P routers and 16x WAP571 access points currently, with 1x RV320 and 4x WAP321 still in use.
Seems like you could figure it out about Cisco small business networking equipment. You only need subscriptions services if you go enterprise networking equipment. For Cisco small business networking equipment, you don't need a subscription service. I have never bought a Cisco subscription service for any of my Cisco small business networking equipment. You keep bringing up this same point up over and over and I have to keep explaining it to you. So, I am not sure you really own any Cisco small business networking equipment as you never learn. It has only been years.....

The Cisco WAP581 APs are much better than the old Cisco WAP571 APs. The old Cisco WAP321 APs are not even supported any more as they are too old and slow.
The Cisco WAP321 APs were released in 2012.

Last edited: