What's new

What router to choose

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Since you know nothing else, just buy your daughter Cisco.

There is no RV series replacement and they are close to EOS. I plan replacing them with Netgate units. Thank you!

Yes, you can go for JetStream switch with Omada SDN integration, but it will be more expensive*.

TL-SG2008P is 8-port (4-port PoE+)
TL-SG2210MP is 10-port (8-port PoE+)

* - I like SG108PE (SG105xx is 5-port version) because its cheap and the same physical size as ER605 router.
Thank you! What do i lose by not having snd integrated switch? Only that it will not be included in the unified cloud management ui? Or are there features being lost?

What do i lose by not having snd integrated switch?

You just configure it with its own UI. I never had an integrated one to test what more it can do. If you want to improve the setup with a better switch, the better router to match is model ER7206. There is new Wi-Fi 6 access points as well. The equipment in my example is the minimum required.

Since you know nothing else, just buy your daughter Cisco.

There is no RV series replacement and they are close to EOS. I plan replacing them with Netgate units. Thank you!
Everything other than Cisco has turned out to be crap with age. They expect you to buy new all the time.
Untangle is the one exception. I ran it for a few years without much support. It was very easy to run once setup.

@cengoe, watch this video from Lawrence Systems.
It explains how the system works and what to expect. Note EAP wall units with extra LAN ports.

@cengoe, watch this video from Lawrence Systems.
It explains how the system works and what to expect. Note EAP wall units with extra LAN ports.

The problem is software support over time or lack of it.

I read somewhere that version 4 of the hardware controller is already out dating some of the Omada wireless devices. I have no idea if it is true or not.

You just configure it with its own UI. I never had an integrated one to test what more it can do. If you want to improve the setup with a better switch, the better router to match is model ER7206. There is new Wi-Fi 6 access points as well. The equipment in my example is the minimum required.
Thank you, in that case, im good with the cheap one.

Since everyone's Wi-Fi environment is different, I would get the APs first and test the results. I remember EAP245v3 coming with PoE injector in the box. If the results are as expected - add the rest to complement the Omada setup. There is no need to purchase everything at once.

Since everyone's Wi-Fi environment is different, I would get the APs first and test the results. I remember EAP245v3 coming with PoE injector in the box. If the results are as expected - add the rest to complement the Omada setup. There is no need to purchase everything at once.
You mean testing coverage with them being configured as wired APs?

Yes, as Wi-Fi system only to any router you already have. You can still run the controller on your Ubuntu PC and add APs as part of central management system. Omada compatible components have own UI and can be configured as stand alone units or as part of Omada. What you are after is Wi-Fi. The router and PoE switch may come later. No need to spend all the money at once just to test.

Yes, as Wi-Fi system only to any router you already have. You can still run the controller on your Ubuntu PC and add APs as part of central management system. Omada compatible components have own UI and can be configured as stand alone units or as part of Omada. What you are after is Wi-Fi. The router and PoE switch may come later. No need to spend all the money at once just to test.
I will do that. Thank you very much for all the helpful advices. Much appreciated.