What's new

What should I have as main router in this configuration?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

electr0

Occasional Visitor
I have three asus routers which I will use to implement Asus AI mesh.. One RT-AC86U and a pair of Asus ZenWifi XT8 AX6.
I will have ethernet backbone and my question is which one I should use as main aka connection to my ISP.
It seems that the XT8 have a better throuput than ac86u (confirm?). Any advice which to use as main router?

XT8 may be your best choice.

Its two families streaming netflix, youtube and more. On an outstreched building and it supposed to cover outside which is around 50m in all directions.

You're starting with wrong equipment or wrong expectations right off the bat. Your house is perhaps not right in the middle and is larger than a dot. That makes estimated over 8000m2 coverage area. With obstacles here and there, I believe. You'll need multiple wired outdoor APs around the property for a chance to stream something that far from your house. What are you planing to do with those home routers?

Last edited:
You're starting with wrong equipment or wrong expectations right off the bat. Your house is perhaps not right in the middle and is larger than a dot. That makes estimated over 8000m2 coverage area. With obstacles here and there, I believe. You'll need multiple wired outdoor APs around the property for a chance to stream something that far from your house. What are you planing to do with those home routers?
Have good wifi

Its two families streaming netflix, youtube and more. On an outstreched building and it supposed to cover outside which is around 50m in all directions.

I would try the 86U in the center and an XT8 at each end, and make the node closest to the ISP connection your router. You can always change it.

I'd favor stock firmware 81858 on the 86U as the root node.

My 2xRT-AC86U will serve 2.4 WiFi to the perimeter of my 2-acre property. I can stream TuneIn over 400' from the router albeit a weak connection. The problem at distance is the small 2.4 mobile client radio/antenna, not the routers... my Latitude laptop produced these speed test results awhile back... plenty good WiFi connection at distance.

OE

Last edited:
Have good wifi

Maximum throughput of routers doesn't matter. You may have a chance to see a weak 2.4GHz network around. Can't get a good WiFi in such a large area using home routers. The best you can get is some WiFi. If you are lucky enough with AiMesh stability.

I would try the 86U in the center and an XT8 at each end, and make the node closest to the ISP connection your router. You can always change it.

I'd favor stock firmware 81858 on the 86U as the root node.

My 2xRT-AC86U will serve 2.4 WiFi to the perimeter of my 2-acre property. I can stream TuneIn over 400' from the router albeit a weak connection. The problem at distance is the small 2.4 mobile client radio/antenna, not the routers... my Latitude laptop produced these speed test results awhile back... plenty good WiFi connection at distance.

OE
Thanks for your input. That was also my idea

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!