What's new

What to buy? -=budget category with LTS=-

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rooli

New Around Here
Dear Guys!

I have an RT-N18U with custom merlin. I need to replace it.
What I can afford and what is available in my country are these:

ASUS RT-AX86S AX5700 Router - LINK

ASUS RT-AX58U V2 Router - LINK

ASUS RT-AX58U AX3000 (90IG04Q0-MO3R10) Router - LINK

What matters to me is ASUS Merlin and AG Long Term Support and also Hardware (responsiveness)
WIFI Speed is not important I go wired.

Thank you very much for your answers.

Dear Guys!

I have an RT-N18U with custom merlin. I need to replace it.

ASUS RT-AX86S AX5700 Router - LINK

ASUS RT-AX58U V2 Router - LINK

ASUS RT-AX58U AX3000 (90IG04Q0-MO3R10) Router - LINK

What matters to me is ASUS Merlin and AG Long Term Support and also Hardware (responsiveness)

AX86S hands down with your choices. Mine works excellent.

THX, is the S version instead of U of the AX86 compatible (and remains compatible) with Asus Merlin?

Yes, both routers run the same stock Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin firmware versions. RT-AX86S variant is a cheaper version of RT-AX86U with differences dual-core CPU, no extra controller for 2.5GbE WAN/LAN port and 512MB RAM. Everything else is the same, including firmware. Perhaps the best choice router for up to Gigabit ISP connections. If you want longer expected support - the more expensive and updated hardware RT-AX86U Pro.

The RT-AX86U, and the 's', and even the 'pro' versions are not worth buying today.

Don't buy just on 'specs', there are many pitfalls on that path. Instead, buy what has been proven and has the specs that ensure actual long-term usability instead.

GT-AX6000 router at OP location is about 2x the price of RT-AX86S. @rooli is obviously looking at specific price range. As I always say there is no "one size fits all" solution. What is worth is subjective personal opinion only. From the routers listed above - RT-AX86S.

Thread title: What to buy? -=budget category with LTS=-

Arbitrary budgets that don't reflect current market conditions don't mean anything. LTS has never been a budget category.

Buying quality products is your best chance of that. This is why the GT-AX6000 is still the best bang for the buck router today.

This is the current market condition in Hungary. Your market condition may be different. Expected LTS with home routers is number of years. For true LTS no home AIO is the best bang for the... Hungarian forint. @rooli may be happier with business class wired router only. He needs a wired router.

Today's market conditions are worldwide. Your misunderstandings of sentences notwithstanding.

Turning off the radio's on an Asus router is still less expensive too.

Skip personal comments in your next opinion. The price difference between the two routers in Hungary is substantial. The OP lives there and this is what's available on their market. What's available in Australia, Canada or Japan doesn't matter. What me and you think is worth it also doesn't matter.

The requirements are very clear. The answer OP received is very clear as well and matches the requirements and availability. From this point on they are going to decide what is best for their use case. If additional requirements come up the answers will be adjusted accordingly. I personally have an idea what can be better and on close or lower price for this specific application, but no one asked for alternatives yet. Case closed for now.

That is what is important to answer, IMO.

If the GT-AX6000 is not available, that is another story. But if it is simply not 'affordable', today, then that problem is only one of needing to save up longer.

Nobody needs to ask for alternatives. All answers are allowed.

@rooli, see post 5 why the routers you list aren't worth considering today. And, let us know if the GT-AX6000, (or the RT-AX88U Pro), is. Those two are the best fit for your requirements above, right now. Regardless of your ability to purchase them immediately or not. The decision in the end is yours, but the facts have been stated.

I just don't want you to think that the ones you list are viable (long-term) or even, worth buying, today.

In this case I would suggest departing from Asuswrt-Merlin on disposable home hardware and migrating to pfSense/OPNSense on dedicated x86 hardware. It can be done on available old PC or new appliance. Performance, eventual upgradability and long term support all look much better. There is no need to waste money on an unused AP, Republic of Gamers branding, Aura lights and underpowered hardware relying heavily on NAT acceleration.

Dear Guys! Thank you so much for your answers, time and understanding. Your answers very helpful and I take your advices ... I am going to order the AX86S.