What's new

What to trust

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Diveblaster

Regular Contributor
Hi
Im a bit confused over some measurements I've been following over the last week. It's all about speed and ping.
We have mobile internet connection (5G) working like a charm until a week ago. Ping times doubled and I contacted my ISP and they are on it so thats nice :)
But I'm collecting data on my part and Merlin FW has this fantastic little thing called spdMerlin. I even used a more official site in Sweden called bredbandskollen.se.
The thing is - I'm a bit confused over the numbers. For the record my main router from where all the tests run is a ASUS RUPTURE GT-AXE16000 with Merlin 3004.388.5_0_rog

First a screendump from spdMerlin
merlin.JPG
'
Here numbers look fine and the ping is around 20ms. and d/l and u/l looks great aswell. (from what im used to living over 3km from the antenna with forrest and hills between)

Second sceenshoot is from bredbandskollen.se
bredbandskollen.JPG

Mmm everything looks the same EXCEPT the d/l...57,37Mbit/s instead of around 600Mbit/s measured with spdMerlin.

Last screendump is from Dashboard
asus.JPG

This picture is all about the ping times which is around 50ms but why does this deviate from the measuremants above made with bredbandskollen.se and spdMerlin??
This number from Asus Dashboard where around 15-25ms last week and all of a sudden they climbed up to what u can see in picture and thats why I contacted my ISP.
Any thoughts about the figures and why do they differ so much?

Thx in advance
Dive

Last edited:
Rule #1 -- never trust any speedtest results coming from any tool running directly on your router. ;)

Whatever test you run will only measure the speed between the device running the test, and the server to which you connect to for that test. Either end can become the bottleneck, be it the CPU of the router running the test, or the bandwidth of the server you are connecting to.

Whatever test you run will only measure the speed between the device running the test, and the server to which you connect to for that test. Either end can become the bottleneck, be it the CPU of the router running the test, or the bandwidth of the server you are connecting to.
So no specifics...what about the Dashboard versus spdMerlin? Still from the same machine so to speak.

So no specifics...what about the Dashboard versus spdMerlin? Still from the same machine so to speak.
They could be testing against different servers.

The only semi-trustworthy stat would be from a laptop that's plugged into your RJ45 jack on the back of your router, and running speedtests from your laptop's browser. The best way would be to plug a laptop directly into your modem and gauging those results.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!