What's new

What's the best practice for running non-entware software or scripts on startup?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

domic

Regular Contributor
In other words, /jffs/scripts/ have several files I could put said commands I want to run in, which are best for running when rebooting the router?
it's for a http(s) server that serves as a file browser.

The whole point of using Entware is to ensure compatibility w/ the router. You can't just grab arbitrarily compiled source code from some other source and expect it to work. It has to be compiled in accordance w/ your router's firmware architecture (e.g., ARM6). Again, that's what Entware makes sure is the case. Whether anything outside the scope of Entware will work just depends on whether you use compatible code.

As far as scripts, I assume you mean Bash scripts. The router uses a special version of Bash meant to be compatible w/ small embedded devices, made available by BusyBox. So not all Bash scripts will be fully compatible w/ the router. There are certain commands/features/options that might not be available.

Thanks.
The whole point of using Entware is to ensure compatibility w/ the router. You can't just grab arbitrarily compiled source code from some other source and expect it to work. It has to be compiled in accordance w/ your router's firmware architecture (e.g., ARM6). Again, that's what Entware makes sure is the case. Whether anything outside the scope of Entware will work just depends on whether you use compatible code.

As far as scripts, I assume you mean Bash scripts. The router uses a special version of Bash meant to be compatible w/ small embedded devices, made available by BusyBox. So not all Bash scripts will be fully compatible w/ the router. There are certain commands/features/options that might not be available.
I chose the right architecture binaries from their github and it works fine in my testing. I'm on aarch64. Fully working.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!