What's new

What's the upper limit/maximum of ac88 and ax88 DHCP pool addresses

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thecheapseats

A little help please - I think I recall (years ago) early asus routers I owned had a max number of DHCP dynamic pool addresses they could serve - Was that correct?... I can't remember for sure - no matter...

So my question now - is there a maximum number/recommended upper limit of DHCP pool dynamic addrs in the dhcp range (don't care about reserved) using 384.19 or above for ac88 and ax88 devices?...

Thanks in advance for a definitive answer, if there is one... It will save me some time as I'm re-tasking two 88s for a goofy non-standard use experiment.

255 for all Asus routers, RMerlin powered or otherwise (Private /24 subnet with a 255.255.255.0 mask), less .0 and .255 and one IP address for the router, of course).

255?... check your math... or don't... a non subnetted class C is 254 usable addrs....

Last edited:
No there is no limit. It's whatever is allowed by your subnet mask, which by default would be 254 (if you were to include the router's own address).

You can expand the subnet mask to give you a larger range but there were issues with the Network Map not showing the extra addresses.

You can expand the subnet mask to give you a larger range but there were issues with the Network Map not showing the extra addresses.

thx Colin for the answer... Not sure I'd trust asus beyond a /24 to an expanded subnet - but that's me...

for some reason I recall reading on early routers (n-class?) or before to wrt firmware flavors on other mfg's hardware - the capable addrs were a limited/constrained sub-set regardless of the pool size... so by habit over the years I'd always config'd pool range to 50 addrs (never needed more until now)...