What's new

What's the verdict on the RT-AX88U vs RT-AX86U vs GT-AXE11000 if I'm buying today

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You want numbers. Good luck finding them (other than what has been offered already), I don't have any more for you.

My 'metrics' are not numbers. I access my NAS, certain websites, and my other servers and computers within (and from without) my network. The RT-AX86U allows me to interact with all those, more directly than with any other router I've had.

The stutters and stalls of the websites are the least I've seen, from within my own network. The immediacy and stability of the connected equipment are also noticeably better. Particularly since I've wired everything up with the 2.5 GbE Ports/switches that the router provides. Even if most of my wired devices are only 1GbE connections (the NAS is 2.5GbE capable).

You're asking for proof before you test in your environment. I'm telling you the proof is testing in your environment.

There are many instances where the faster-tested equipment is actually slower in normal use. Don't buy just for the specifications. Buy and keep the equipment that actually performs better for you.

The last two paragraphs in the link below may be informative and applicable to this discussion too.

I can tell you're not invested in learning. Or, learning differently.

Good luck.

I can tell you're not invested in learning. Or, learning differently.

Good luck.
I am invested in learning, but networking is both mathematical and scientific. It's not "an art". Numbers do not lie.

What I find funny about the CNET review you like to boast about, as maybe you didn't read it, but the reviewer tests these routers in Access Point mode. What this means is, if in fact the RT-AX86U does provide improved latency reduction over the RT-AC88U (unknown without testing both head to head), it's only via Wi-Fi that this is observable.

Via Ethernet, which is what most serious gamers use, like me - there will be zero difference between the two models. The overhead even a cheap router has seldom ever increases base latency more than a couple of milliseconds - two routers using the exact same CPU/RAM with almost identical firmware, gaming performance via Ethernet will be identical. What serious gamer using Wi-Fi anyways? Nobody outside of mobile game connoisseurs...

Wired networking is both mathematical and scientific. As wireless networking should be too. WiFi is an 'art', yes.

I'm not boasting about anything. And, unlike yourself, I can extrapolate the data provided to my own use case. Then, when I am in the position to test my hypothesis', I do. And I have.

Serious gamers? :)

I don't care about that genre. I care about demonstrable improvements to my network. And to others, I may suggest this hardware too.

This isn't the last word on performance by far. Nobody is stating so.

This is about obtaining the most performance at the least cost with the most stability.

Easy terms to understand. If you're so inclined to do so.

This isn't a gaming forum. This is a networking forum. I haven't seen too many of my recommendations fall short.

If you get the basics of your network as high performing as possible, the use of the network (including gaming) will also improve, IME. The RT-AX86U is the current best overall router today if the criteria above (among other things) are important to you too.

For the improvements you seem to be chasing, I suggest you invest in an L3 switch for your wired gaming PC instead (including the relating/supporting infrastructure required at that level of networking too). But I suspect those products too will fail to give you 'numbers' to buy by.

Sure but CNET haven't even reviewed the RT-AX88U. So that guy claiming the RT-AX86U is superior to the RT-AX88U with regards to latency is doing so based off assumption, not objectively tested data.
You're just making this part up out of thin air. The CNET review or "that guy" wasn't making those claims about the RT-AX88U. The tests and the review compared different top routers of different brands of routers and compared their latency. It doesn't matter if the CNET review isn't a head to head test comparison with the AX88U. Also, I made no claims about that review being a direct comparison with the AX88U or the AXE11000. I posted this CNET review and test comparison of the AX86U vs. other top routers because it was a positive aspect of this router. I said...

"The AX86U is The King of Wifi 6 routers in latency tests according to this CNET review..."

So I don't know what you are talking about when you are critical of the relevance of my post. All information is relevant regarding the routers if you trying to make a decision which one to buy. The OP can read my post and make a decision on the relevance of that CNET review on his own.

Hey guys,
I've actually decided to try the AX86U over the AX82U that I got a couple weeks ago. While the 82U has been a nice router, and hasn't really given me much trouble, I was having some issues with my smart lights. While the types of issues I'm having, aren't specific to Asus routers, the 82U seems to have exaggerated them. The main problem is randomly slow to respond, or disconnects from wifi, slow to do the correct task in Alexa routines, etc. I have tweaked the settings for the 2.4 band to basically make it for legacy devices only, and while that's helped, it's still not perfect.
The routers that seem to have the least issues seem to be ones that have a 3x3 2.4 radio e.g. my 6th Gen Apple Airport extreme, and an older TP-Link router (c4000) that's Tri Band. Both the Airport and TP-Link no longer receive firmware updates so from a security stand, that's why I've been trying to pick a new router.
The 86U has 3x3, and I am hoping the extra stream will help in range and stability when controlling multiple devices at once.

I have until June 30th to return the 82U to amazon, and I managed to get same day delivery with the 86U, so I'll compare later tonight when I get it. I also got the Gundam edition so it's unique over the standard black and red, and I caught a deal on amazon where it's a few dollars cheaper than the standard black and red model.

One question, I have Spectrum Gig, and they gave me a modem with the 2.5g port. Since I don't have anything on the LAN that can run at that speed, can the 2.5g port on the router be connected to the modem? No that it will make any difference for wired devices as they are all capped at 1g, or 10/100. However, it might make a difference for wireless when I get more ax compatible devices that can do 160mzh. Currently, my only used AX device is my iPhone 12 Pro Max, and it's limited to 80Mhz channels.

I'm not familiar with the Gundam series, but based on the designs it gives me an impression of being like Voltron and some of the other shows like that.

One question, I have Spectrum Gig, and they gave me a modem with the 2.5g port. Since I don't have anything on the LAN that can run at that speed, can the 2.5g port on the router be connected to the modem?

Yes. See WAN\Dual WAN to set Primary WAN to 2.5G WAN and wire 2.5G WAN to modem... the default WAN/Internet port becomes LAN port5. Don't enable Dual WAN.

1655123441894.png

My install notes may offer some other clues. If you have more questions, start your own thread.

OE

Last edited:
Regular AX86U with different color case and red GUI background.
Oh, the router I'm familiar with, I just wasn't familiar with the actual Series this router is modeled after. I looked it up on YouTube and like I said, it looks like a cross between Voltron, and the transformers from what I saw. I'm also looking forward to having status lights for the LAN ports, seems like a lot of routers skimp on this today and only provide one LED for the entire wired LAN status. A white 86U would have been nice since my shelves for the internet stuff are white, but red goes with white, and black modem, so no biggie.

Yes. See WAN\Dual WAN to set Primary WAN to 2.5G WAN and wire 2.5G WAN to modem... the default WAN/Internet port becomes LAN port5, so then you'll have 5 LAN ports. Don't enable Dual WAN.

View attachment 41820

My install notes may offer some other clues. If you have more questions, start your own thread.

OE
I'll look at your guide after I get the router, but I was curious, on setup, won't the router auto detect the 2.5g port as WAN if it's plugged into the modem, or do I need to use the internet port to configure it, and then switch?

There is a yellow version of the same router. Gamers are usually ready to pay more.

1655124363145.png

I'll look at your guide after I get the router, but I was curious, on setup, won't the router auto detect the 2.5g port as WAN if it's plugged into the modem, or do I need to use the internet port to configure it, and then switch?

More notes than guide, but they answer your question. You must switch it.

OE

There is a yellow version of the same router. Gamers are usually ready to pay more.

View attachment 41821
A Bumblebee version ;). It's OK, I like the red one, and having a darker background to see the lights will help too. Good to know. When I first started researching Asus routers a couple years back, I liked the design of the 88U, but doing more reading on sites like MBRReviews, and here suggests that the 86U is more of the best middle ground model to get. As I said though, I think having the 3X3 2.4 vs a 2X2 will help me more with balanced bandwidth overall. I have mostly 2.4 devices when it comes to wireless, so I have to look at the best experience for those over 5G because I think 5G is overall more stable, and won't be as big a difference between router models (any brand). 2.4 seems to be more sensitive though, especially with devices such as Smart bulbs that don't have great radios in them to begin with.

I noticed while testing with the 82u, quite a few of my bulbs reported only 2 bars of signal, while others were full, or minus 1. The only thing I can think of is the metal housing on the lamps (mainly floor lamps) the bulbs are in, is somehow interfering with the signal. I have devices such as Amazon Echo devices, a Google Home that roughly the same distance from the router and get full bars (especially on 2.4.). 5G could drop off quicker, but that again depended on the device, not so much the router. So I put all smart speakers and non high bandwidth devices on 2.4, for better even coverage.

Some other tests I've done to check my signal is to run WiFi Explorer on my 27" iMac, and my signal on the 2.4 is usually 95 to 98% with SNR 55 to 60db and that's on the power saving setting for 2.4ghz, and on 5Ghz it's usually around 92 % with SNR in the same rage. It also shows noise most of the time at 1%. As a reminder, I'm only covering 877 square foot 1 bedroom apartment one level, duplex style so it's more like a small house as it's all on one level and not in a building style. Neighbors on only one side, and no upstairs, downstairs, etc. So any of these routers are really overkill, but I thought I would try the 86u to see if it makes a difference, at least to give it a fair chance.

Hey guys,
I've actually decided to try the AX86U over the AX82U that I got a couple weeks ago. While the 82U has been a nice router, and hasn't really given me much trouble, I was having some issues with my smart lights. While the types of issues I'm having, aren't specific to Asus routers, the 82U seems to have exaggerated them. The main problem is randomly slow to respond, or disconnects from wifi, slow to do the correct task in Alexa routines, etc. I have tweaked the settings for the 2.4 band to basically make it for legacy devices only, and while that's helped, it's still not perfect.
The routers that seem to have the least issues seem to be ones that have a 3x3 2.4 radio e.g. my 6th Gen Apple Airport extreme, and an older TP-Link router (c4000) that's Tri Band. Both the Airport and TP-Link no longer receive firmware updates so from a security stand, that's why I've been trying to pick a new router.
The 86U has 3x3, and I am hoping the extra stream will help in range and stability when controlling multiple devices at once.

I have until June 30th to return the 82U to amazon, and I managed to get same day delivery with the 86U, so I'll compare later tonight when I get it. I also got the Gundam edition so it's unique over the standard black and red, and I caught a deal on amazon where it's a few dollars cheaper than the standard black and red model.

One question, I have Spectrum Gig, and they gave me a modem with the 2.5g port. Since I don't have anything on the LAN that can run at that speed, can the 2.5g port on the router be connected to the modem? No that it will make any difference for wired devices as they are all capped at 1g, or 10/100. However, it might make a difference for wireless when I get more ax compatible devices that can do 160mzh. Currently, my only used AX device is my iPhone 12 Pro Max, and it's limited to 80Mhz channels.

I'm not familiar with the Gundam series, but based on the designs it gives me an impression of being like Voltron and some of the other shows like that.
Great choice,,,do not just get one, buy 2 AX86U to form an AiMesh Networks by AX86U and and I think it is the only Wifi Router WiFi 6 has 4core + 1GB RAM.

Knock on woods, I've been running AiMesh by 2 x AX86U without any issue since the latest Asuswrt firmware update of Jan 2022. They are the beast!

That 2.5GbE LED looks a little dim. :)

OE
Haven't set 2.5G up yet ;) just using it with normal gig for right now, will tackle that 2.5G tomorrow, I'll probably need to go out and buy another cat 6 cable unless cat 5e can do 2.5G, does the 86U come with a compatible ethernet cable? right now I am just using my existing cable I had in the setup.

Just thought I would make a comment on the firmware, the router came with version: Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.386_45375, but there seems to be a newer version on the site, but the auto check feature is saying what's on it, is up to date.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!