What's new

What's wrong with my VDSL2?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Turgut Kalfaoglu

Regular Contributor
I'm only getting 28MB down / 2.7MB up on my VDSL2.. So I queried my line.. and got a graph like this.. Does this look right, or should I tell someone to repair my line?
I really don't know how a "good" graph should look..
Thanks, -t

Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 14-07-09 ASUS DSL-N17U Wireless-N300 Gigabit VDSL2_ADSL2 Modem Router...png

Don't know about DSL but what speeds are you expecting?

The SNR is key and should usually be around 30db as hat seems to be the sweet spot for a strong signal.

DSL is a dying breed these days though for the most part but, 28/2 speeds might be all you can get out of it unless you're using a "home run" from the NID to the router. There might be splits / loads / coils / etc that are affecting the speed.

I would take the router to the NID where the line comes to the building and plug it in there and see what your results are from that point of entry. If there's a significant difference then there's something internal wiring is causing to slow things down. If the difference is negligible then it's beyond your house and on the provider side slowing things down.

At my location if I were to do DSL it would be 45/x @ $55/mo but, cable on the other hand for the same price would provide 400-600/15. So, obviously cable would make more sense. However FWA providers moved into the area in the last 2 years and offer $50/mo w/o any data caps or fees/taxes. With FWA I get ranging speeds vs more consistent speeds with cable but, I also pay 50% less and it's mobile as well. I can also power it off a power bank instead of spending money on a UPS. The PB can keep it powered or 16+ hours as it only draws about 5W of power. With the FWA box the highest speeds I've seen locally are 600/100 and that's taking it outside about 30-50ft from my building since I literally have a cell site above my unit. Closer isn't always better when it comes to RF.

That graph looks about right if you are just under 1.5km from the local cabinet. If you are significantly closer than that, then you may have a problem!

Many thanks for all the feedback! Yes, I suspect I'm about a kilometer from the telecom box.. the telecom box is at the entrance of this development complex. Long wires from there reach my home, and this is what I got.. Unfortunately, there is no fiber coming so I can't do anything better.. Elon Musk says that MAYBE next year Starlink will come my way.. We'll see :)
regards, -turgut

Many thanks for all the feedback! Yes, I suspect I'm about a kilometer from the telecom box.. the telecom box is at the entrance of this development complex. Long wires from there reach my home, and this is what I got.. Unfortunately, there is no fiber coming so I can't do anything better.. Elon Musk says that MAYBE next year Starlink will come my way.. We'll see :)
regards, -turgut

As they suggested in the thread, have you tried putting your DSL modem/router as close as possible to where the inline cable enters the house.

To reduce the amount of meters the signal has to travel through those bad cables.
It can do a whole lot of difference.

With the box 1km away and taking the cable runs into account I'd suspect that you might get a little better speed over time but not much. Here in the UK one of the most important things to remember is not to power-cycle/reboot the modem too often - on a modem router provided the modem doesn't reboot you'll be good. Rebooting the modem too often will increase the SNRm, and can take up to three weeks for the profiles to repair (it can be longer in other countries).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!