What's new

When HDD hibernation enabled will USB flash still work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Compyfreak

New Around Here
Hello,

I have an RT-AX86U, and I have an HDD for SMB sharing. I want a 4GB flash drive to function as a SWAP drive, but since my HDD is enabled to sleep after 180sec, I wondered if the flash drive will also go to sleep?

Disabling sleep wouldn't be beneficial for the HDD lifespan, so I hope a flash drive will keep on working, or if not, there is a workaround to only let the HDD go to sleep?

Thanks!

The result from sending a spindown request to a flash drive is undefined. In my own tests back in the day, my test USB thumbdrive would stop working and require a reboot, which was why in Asuswrt-Merlin I implemented checkboxes to only enable it on user-specific drives.

The result from sending a spindown request to a flash drive is undefined. In my own tests back in the day, my test USB thumbdrive would stop working and require a reboot, which was why in Asuswrt-Merlin I implemented checkboxes to only enable it on user-specific drives.

Thanks for the reply. I don't think it's a good idea to test out if a flash drive goes to sleep and has swap already enabled. I tried to figure out with SSH to see if there is a command to determine if a device is hibernating or not, but I can't seem to figure it out. Is there a command or value I can read out to see if my device is sleeping or not?

I prefer keeping stock firm since I have multiple devices in aimesh that doesn't support merlin.

Last edited:
Why do you need a swap file? What problem are you trying to solve?

Not a problem at the moment, but I am poor. Still, I need a NAS, so I want to add two 4TB drives on my router with drive synchronization enabled to clone the drive to the other 4TB device and enable Asus cloud to upload the most important folders to the cloud to ensure my data is safe.

Some people posted that memory could be an issue, so that's why I want to add swap memory. If I'm over the 2-year warranty, I might consider buying 2gb ram chips to mod the hardware.

Not a problem at the moment, but I am poor. Still, I need a NAS, so I want to add two 4TB drives on my router with drive synchronization enabled to clone the drive to the other 4TB device and enable Asus cloud to upload the most important folders to the cloud to ensure my data is safe.

Some people posted that memory could be an issue, so that's why I want to add swap memory. If I'm over the 2-year warranty, I might consider buying 2gb ram chips to mod the hardware.
Adding a swap file won't be beneficial for that. Besides the fact that the RT-AX86U only has two USB ports so you wouldn't be able to connect 3 USB devices (unless you used a hub which would kill the performance).

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!