What's new

When should I start preparing to replace my DS1515+ with a new model?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vw-tx

Occasional Visitor
I had some issues which I thought were related to the known bug, but per their support, my model was fixed. The upgrade to DSM 7 actually fixed it. (It was going offline and not responding without a reboot). I haven't had an issue since though. I mean it could have been the memory too as I went back to the memory that came in it at the same time. I use it for file storage, music, plex to all TVs in the house for blu-ray/4k, and Apple Backup location.

Thoughts?

Everything is backed up to a large USB 12TB drive nightly, and to BackBlaze for the important stuff.

I'd do check some random files on that backup drive ASAP.

@Sky you get the 9 month necro thread trophy!

1664491429874.png

Reactions: Sky
MummyEmoji-1383682667.jpg

My last Synology lasted me 7 years before I replaced it. I expect to get at least 5 years out of this one. It really depends on how much the underlying tech improves over any given period of time.

My last Synology lasted me 7 years before I replaced it. I expect to get at least 5 years out of this one. It really depends on how much the underlying tech improves over any given period of time.
They use SATA so not much is changing. If you went with something that has NVME drives instead for faster speeds that would be something. If you add a higher speed NIC that would be cheaper. The CPU and RAM doesn't really handle higher end tasks as they're not designed to. NAS is general are only for storage and sometimes more possible if you put a real os on them and tune it into a hybrid with additional functions.

They use SATA so not much is changing. If you went with something that has NVME drives instead for faster speeds that would be something. If you add a higher speed NIC that would be cheaper. The CPU and RAM doesn't really handle higher end tasks as they're not designed to. NAS is general are only for storage and sometimes more possible if you put a real os on them and tune it into a hybrid with additional functions.
Makes sense. I don’t see HDs for storage going away any time soon. Maybe we can get faster writes and reads and better encryption. We should start seeing a mismatch between network speeds and read and write speeds. The biggest benefit of a fast local lan is reading and writing to a NAS.

Makes sense. I don’t see HDs for storage going away any time soon. Maybe we can get faster writes and reads and better encryption. We should start seeing a mismatch between network speeds and read and write speeds. The biggest benefit of a fast local lan is reading and writing to a NAS.
Well, a Gen3 x4 drive does 3.5GB/s Gen4 x4 up to 7.5GB/s so, in one case you can need 25gbps to get close to the Gen3 drive and 50gbps to get close to the Gen4 so, at that point you're better off looking at 100GE ports / gear. Now, that's going to be a bit expensive for the average user and the cheapest version would be 100GE DAC and the cable using QSFP on both ends to plug into the PC / NAS.

2 x NIC = $600
DAC cable - $50 depending on length

So, sure you can hit those speeds you drool over but, at what costs does it stop making sense?

Well, a Gen3 x4 drive does 3.5GB/s Gen4 x4 up to 7.5GB/s so, in one case you can need 25gbps to get close to the Gen3 drive and 50gbps to get close to the Gen4 so, at that point you're better off looking at 100GE ports / gear. Now, that's going to be a bit expensive for the average user and the cheapest version would be 100GE DAC and the cable using QSFP on both ends to plug into the PC / NAS.

2 x NIC = $600
DAC cable - $50 depending on length

So, sure you can hit those speeds you drool over but, at what costs does it stop making sense?
Doesn’t make sense for home use. You’re also limited by wifi speeds as well. The tough part is that this stuff doesn’t move together.

I have to ask myself: how much time am I really saving?

I’m planning a migration to 2.5Gbps gear. But it’s going to be a slow migration.

2.5 sems to be gaining popularity but, 5ge is still somewhat hard to find in the wild.

For those sorts of speeds you're better off wired for specific use than WiFi at least until WiFi 7 comes about and hits 2+ Gbps for single clients.

I can hit 1.5 with dual band aggregation which is just shy of the potential 1.7 max after overhead.

2.5 sems to be gaining popularity but, 5ge is still somewhat hard to find in the wild.

For those sorts of speeds you're better off wired for specific use than WiFi at least until WiFi 7 comes about and hits 2+ Gbps for single clients.

I can hit 1.5 with dual band aggregation which is just shy of the potential 1.7 max after overhead.
Wifi 7 is at least 5 years out before you have fully implemented APs and client devices. My significant other’s Sony phone doesn’t play well with TWT.

5 years? I think it will be much sooner.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!