What's new

Where should I start to learn about Cloud? Which one is the best?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

$47 billion market cap.
I recall reading recently that EMC was acquired by a Fortune 100.
EMC also owns 80% of VMware.

Dell and EMC are working to close that deal...

VMWare, FWIW, just recently RIF'ed their North American team that worked on VMWare Workstation/Player and VMWare Fusion - supposedly development will continue in China (yikes!!!)

Dell and EMC are working to close that deal...

VMWare, FWIW, just recently RIF'ed their North American team that worked on VMWare Workstation/Player and VMWare Fusion - supposedly development will continue in China (yikes!!!)

Gotta cut costs!

Um, that's the whole purpose of the cloud in general. Microsoft's cloud isn't all that unique. What sets Microsoft apart is that their cloud runs "windows" and "office" which people still think they need.

Microsoft's cloud isn't all that unique. What sets Microsoft apart is that their cloud runs "windows" and "office" which people still think they need.

Don't forget Xbox - which has been down since last night ;)

What sets Microsoft apart is that their cloud runs "windows" and "office" which people still think they need.
Well, many times I tried to use MS Office-alikes for Linux. Problem remains, year after year, that for complex and common business documents, the -alike programs just don't work. I'm talking about a typical hundreds of pages proposal with heavy use of sections, cross-references, embedded graphics, etc. Same for complex spreadsheets and moreso for fancy presentations using Powerpoint.

And these projects are a collaboration and interchange always goes awry, and even within Office 2010 and newer, but far worse interchange among -alike programs.

the closest I found is King Software, but it is disconcerting due to it being from over there and free (Trojan horse).

Microsoft's cloud isn't all that unique. What sets Microsoft apart is that their cloud runs "windows" and "office" which people still think they need.

Because it runs Windows and Office is what makes them unique.

It's not that people think they need it; they do. There is no substitute. (I've looked).

Well, many times I tried to use MS Office-alikes for Linux. Problem remains, year after year, that for complex and common business documents, the -alike programs just don't work. I'm talking about a typical hundreds of pages proposal with heavy use of sections, cross-references, embedded graphics, etc. Same for complex spreadsheets and moreso for fancy presentations using Powerpoint.

The problem is that Microsoft has created a market for those complex documents and fancy presentations. If you go into any Fortune 50 consulting firm and ask them about Powerpoint, the first thing they'll tell you is the 5x5 rule. No more than 5 lines per slide, 5 words per line. No animations, no sound, no flashing text. They'll also show you the hundreds of spreadsheet-based "applications" that they're making big bucks to get rid of.

The bottom line is that there's no suitable replacement to Office because people are using Office for things it was never intended to do in the first place. Congratulations to Microsoft for building an unassailable install base out of poor business practices.

The problem is that Microsoft has created a market for those complex documents and fancy presentations. If you go into any Fortune 50 consulting firm and ask them about Powerpoint, the first thing they'll tell you is the 5x5 rule. No more than 5 lines per slide, 5 words per line. No animations, no sound, no flashing text. They'll also show you the hundreds of spreadsheet-based "applications" that they're making big bucks to get rid of.

The bottom line is that there's no suitable replacement to Office because people are using Office for things it was never intended to do in the first place. Congratulations to Microsoft for building an unassailable install base out of poor business practices.

Your logic is kinda funny. ;)

Office can do what it can and users will exploit whatever feature is possible. Win Win.

Blaming MS for creating a market? Lol...

None of us like a virtual monopoly as MS has.

But think back to the Digital Research days and the fork in the road between MS Word/Excel and IBM's Lotus and desires to own the market...

Corporations and Universities would all would have a heck of a mess without MS Windows and Office standard platform for interoperability.

As said, I do dislike MS's bi-annual paint it a different color to keep sales revenue going.
Forcing us to a subscription model is why I sold my MS shares last year. They want an annuity. That would be OK with me if it were far cheaper per year than they want it.

Let's pick on Adobe too, for the expletive PDF and dominant Photoshop.

Your logic is kinda funny. ;)

Office can do what it can and users will exploit whatever feature is possible. Win Win.

Blaming MS for creating a market? Lol...

Obviously you've never had to unravel a 40MB Excel file that should have been done in a proper database.

None of us like a virtual monopoly as MS has.

It's not that they have a monopoly. I don't really care about that. Other companies have virtual monopolies too. It's not good for the market but it is what it is.

Corporations and Universities would all would have a heck of a mess without MS Windows and Office standard platform for interoperability.

A lot of corporations have a heck of a mess BECAUSE of Windows and Office. I've worked with some very large companies that, despite the multi-year pain of decoupling from MS, are in a much more stable and cost-efficient desktop environment now. Excel in particular is being used for things it was never intended and instead of Microsoft properly showing people how to convert things to Access, they continue to milk the yearly subscriptions and look the other way. Microsoft isn't a good corporate partner, that's my beef.

Let's pick on Adobe too, for the expletive PDF and dominant Photoshop.

By all means, there's plenty of these white buffalo to shoot.

Obviously you've never had to unravel a 40MB Excel file that should have been done in a proper database.

You mean move that 50MB plus Excel file into a real financial software (database)? Yes I have. ;)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!