What's new

Which ASUS AX Routers support DFS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ComputerAbuser

Occasional Visitor
I picked up a RT-AX86U a few weeks ago to replace my aging Netgear Nighthawk R7000 and so far it's great. I do have one issue, but that's for another thread.

Downstairs I have a dedicated access point for my Quest 2. My 5Ghz band is getting crowded so I would like to utilize DFS. I'm
over 30km away from the airport and no weather stations in range, so no issue there (West Coast Canada). No one else is using DFS in range that I can see.

I was using a TP-Link Archer AX10, but it doesn't support DFS. The RT-AX86U works great with DFS, but my Roku TVs won't work
with DFS, so I have to keep the AX86U on a regular band.

Tonight I picked up a RT-AX55 to replace the AX10. I reviewed the manual ahead of time. It listed power levels for the DFS frequencies
in the appendix, so I assumed it would work with DFS, but it doesn't. I can only select 36-48 & 149-161.

I don't want to pick up another AX86U, that's overkill and rather expensive. Which other ASUS AX routers support DFS? Do I need to step up to a RT-AX56U?

Thanks

From my own experience, the AX58U supports DFS, while the AX68U does not.

Why don't you just put Roku on 2.4 Ghz, then you can keep DFS on the AX86U?

Hmm, ya, that's an option. 2.4GHz is pretty crowded around here (where is it not?) I guess I could try it and see how they perform. I was worried about streaming performance.

Hopefully, someone can chime in if the AX56U supports DFS. Although, paying 54% more for features I don't need is rather unfortunate.

I dug into it a bit and the RT-AX56U does indeed support DFS. I guess that's just an extra feature you get for paying more? Sadly, I just missed a sale on the AX56U a few days ago. It would have been the same price as the AX55.

Can confirm the AC56U supports DFS channels. They're great routers, I have 5 of them across two houses, and had zero issues with them. No hestitation in recommending.

From my own experience, the AX58U supports DFS, while the AX68U does not.

I gave that a try and quickly learned that my wife's Dell doesn't like DFS either and couldn't see the 86U. So I need to stick with a standard frequency for the main 5GHz and then use DFS for my dedicated 5GHz router used just for VR. Just have to wait for a sale on the 56U and go back to my TP-Link AX10 for now.

Well, what the hell. I got a RT-AX56U on sale and hooked it up tonight. No DFS channels available.

I guess I was mistaken that this model supports DFS? I guess it's going back too.

Unless, loading up Merlin will correct that?

Nope, I tried Merlin 386.2_2 and no change.

The RT-AX58U is double the price of the AX56U ($260 vs. $130 on sale) so that's out.

I guess the AX56U will go back tomorrow and I will have to wait for the TP-Link AX50 to go back on sale. That sucks, I was hoping to stick with ASUS in case I wanted to switch to AiMesh later on.

DFS channels availability is country-specific, not model-specific (RT-AX56U supports DFS channels). If DFS channels are available in your country and you bought the officially imported ASUS router with proper country code, DFS channels should be available; otherwise, you should contact ASUS.

Asus RT-AX92U. DFS on both 5GHz bands. (but no Merlin support). My primary router. (Europe)

Attachments

• 92u1.jpg
    92u1.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 367
DFS channels availability is country-specific, not model-specific (RT-AX56U supports DFS channels). If DFS channels are available in your country and you bought the officially imported ASUS router with proper country code, DFS channels should be available; otherwise, you should contact ASUS.
Indeed. My RT-AX86U supports DFS and we use DFS at work. DFS is fine in Canada.

I picked up another AX56U from Best Buy in hopes that my first was some weird import. No difference. The AX56U from Best Buy doesn't list any DFS channels either. Extremely frustrating.

I guess they are disabled on the Canadian model. Not because DFS is restricted, but you know, because reasons.

I guess they are disabled on the Canadian model. Not because DFS is restricted, but you know, because reasons.
Very frustrating indeed! I wonder what country codes are reported by AX86U and AX56U, are they similar? To get the country code, you can use almost any WiFi analyzer app like WifiInfoView.

By the way, I found another two threads regarding DFS that may be related to your problem. The first one discusses the availability of DFS in the AX56U (US model), while the second one - the absence of DFS channels in Canada in AC86U. Looks like others are having similar problems too.

Last edited:
Ya, initially I thought maybe I got a US model AX86U, but DFS channels 114 & 118-128 are not available in Canada. My AX86U jumps from 112 to 132, so it was clearly customized for Canadian frequencies.

The two AX56Us are all packed up and ready for return, so I won't be able to check the country code, but the BestBuy receipt shows model number RT-AX56U/CA which should be the Canadian variant. I don't get it and of course nothing on the box or in the manual lists if DFS is or is not supported.

The AX58U is too expensive, so I will have to go with a different brand, which sucks.

Maybe there were some compatibility issues between AX56U and your WiFi card? Did this problem occur on other WiFi clients?
I tried various clients an iPhone 12 Pro (iOS), iPad Air 4 (iPadOS), Quest 2 VR Headset (Android) and a Macbook Pro 16" (MacOS).

I was able to get an Asus RT-AX58U on sale for $168 CDN (MSRP $259 CDN), only $30 more than the AX56U was on sale, so I'm happy with that. I will post results once I can test it.

For what it's worth, I have a previous generation AC68U I bought in 2014 in Montréal. Unfortunately at some point an update made it impossible to set DFS channels.

The only saving grace is that if one uses wired backhaul, it is possible to set Channel 165 (20mHz) on the main aiMesh Router, a rarely used channel, and the aiMesh nodes will use the adjacent 80mHz.
Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 01.14.51.png