What's new

Which AX86 router has (will have) the best Merlin support?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ddmb

New Around Here
I'm about to replace my AC86U router and I can see 3 candidate routers on the market:
AX86S
AX86U
AX86U Pro

I don't care too much about processor speed, but I'm rather interested about the software. "AX86U Pro" doesn't have the same Merlin software as the other ones. Are there some differences? Which should I choose?

Just a little observation:
AX86S: USB 3.2 Gen1 x1, 2.0 x1
AX86U: USB 3.2 Gen 1 x 2
AX86U Pro: USB 3.2 Gen1 x1, 2.0 x1

AX86U Pro is weakly equipped with USB ports than AX86U ? Because in this parameter seems to me that Pro is one step back comparing with AX86U

USB ports are not the way to differentiate between routers.

All indications today indicate that the GT-AX6000 will get the same firmware level as the 'pro', but even without it, the GT-AX6000 is the superior router today.

None of the ones you list are even worth considering today, particularly not for their USB port differences.

Keep in mind you're buying a router, not a notebook computer.

I'm about to replace my AC86U router and I can see 3 candidate routers on the market:
AX86S
AX86U
AX86U Pro

I don't care too much about processor speed, but I'm rather interested about the software. "AX86U Pro" doesn't have the same Merlin software as the other ones. Are there some differences? Which should I choose?

Just a little observation:
AX86S: USB 3.2 Gen1 x1, 2.0 x1
AX86U: USB 3.2 Gen 1 x 2
AX86U Pro: USB 3.2 Gen1 x1, 2.0 x1

AX86U Pro is weakly equipped with USB ports than AX86U ? Because in this parameter seems to me that Pro is one step back comparing with AX86U

The latest is the Pro... arriving now, costs more, puts your tech cycle closer to the leading edge pros/cons, supports arriving 388 firmware (vlans?), and has next gen radios compared to the AX86U/S.

OE

In addition to the faster 2GHz CPU and DDR4 memory, the Pro has a newer kernel version over the AX86U.

Coming 2023 GT-BE98 Has a 2.6 cpu and three 10G ports

My RMerlin running Main/AP working well and zero network issues!

Coming 2023 GT-BE98 Has a 2.6 cpu and three 10G ports

My RMerlin running Main/AP working well and zero network issues!
I also look forward to new models, but lately asus is pushing out a lot of new models. In the meantime firmware is getting more unstable, more bugs. So think asus has to do a better job.
I'm seriously thinking of moving away from asus in favor of synology

Have you seen the Asus upcoming router with rotating antennas?
I tried to save a few $$$, and tried my router on a Lazy-Susan made of space age polymers and using high quality steel bearings for spinning efficiency. My data showed no wifi improvement in my environment ;)

Last edited:
AX86S
AX86U
AX86U Pro

AX86S - fixed AC86U with AX support
AX86U - perhaps the most popular model now
AX86U Pro - the one with newer hardware and expected longer support

RT-AX86U Pro is the one to get in 2023.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!