What's new

Which firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Slickone

Occasional Visitor
I'm looking to update the firmware on two RT-N66R routers (in two different locations) with different requirements.

For one, I'm looking for the best range. Not concerned about speed. I've read some posts here that some firmware can help range. Current firmware is Asuswrt-Merlin 380.57

For the other, I'm looking for the highest speed. Current speed is too slow, normally between 25 and 40 Mbps download, on a 100Mbps conneciton and Arris SB6121. I know the router and modem are old, but I just want to try this before upgrading. Current firmware is ASUS 3.0.0.4.380_3831.

Use either the latest stock firmware or John's fork of Merlin. Both will give you the same WiFi range as they all use the same WiFi driver.

The RT-N66U should easily be able to download at speeds of 100+ Mbps unless your router is doing something that will slow it down, like VPN or QoS.

john fork is better stability wise.

I'm looking for firmware advice for two different situations. I guess I should have made them separate posts.

As for range, I have read on SNBForums that some firmware can help. ie:
Among others.

My previous answer still stands. You won't see any particular difference in range because all the current/recent firmware versions are using the same WiFi driver. People may think there are differences but it's placebo.

The very old firmware versions of the N66U used to be configured for "engineering mode" which made it operate at higher power output than should have been allowed. That mode was removed years ago. (I think that's why this myth of "better" WiFi perpetuates.) I wouldn't suggest you try using that old version because it has numerous security vulnerabilities and client incompatibilities.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!