What's new

Which good router for my application? AC68U or R7000?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dlink is known to be unstable on both hardware and software. They're also one of the least secure among the lot. I have used dlink and i just hate their hardware. Even their dumb switches are substandard.

Well, router ranker here places the Dlink as #1 3200 router. I know from the few I have had over the years, I have had no issues with reboots or drops hardware failing etc. It seems Asus has issues with drops on almost every review and model I can find. I even have several family members with older Dlinks and never an issue. I do hate their interfaces as they are very basic and clumsy. They also have horrible firmware support often dropping support very early in the products life. But my logic with the 890 is simple, if the guts are basically the same across these 3200's, and you can install DD-WRT or something on it, and it's 100 bucks cheaper then the Asus.....get where I'm going? Just a thought running through my head since I'm trying to pick on myself.

Well, considering your client load and potential applications - any AC1900 class router is likely to do a decent job of things... really don't need much more for now.

Recommendations - Linksys WRT1900ac, Apple Airport Extreme AC, Netgear R7000, Asus RT-68U - they're all good, and you'll find a decent group of knowledgeable folks here if you have questions.
With the Asus, does it matter (in your opinion) if its the 68P variant?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The RT-AC68P is fine - same basic HW as the 68U, just a bit faster processor - if they're close to the same price and both are on the shelf, the 68P would be a good choice.

Well, router ranker here places the Dlink as #1 3200 router. I know from the few I have had over the years, I have had no issues with reboots or drops hardware failing etc. It seems Asus has issues with drops on almost every review and model I can find. I even have several family members with older Dlinks and never an issue. I do hate their interfaces as they are very basic and clumsy. They also have horrible firmware support often dropping support very early in the products life. But my logic with the 890 is simple, if the guts are basically the same across these 3200's, and you can install DD-WRT or something on it, and it's 100 bucks cheaper then the Asus.....get where I'm going? Just a thought running through my head since I'm trying to pick on myself.

I've had the 68U for over a year without any drops of wireless. Of course I'm running Merlin's firmware.

Again, my recommendation to most folks for AC1900 class router/AP's based on stability and performance...

1) Linksys WRT1900ac
2) Airport Extreme AC

They're not the most feature rich devices out there, but they reasonably fast and stable... and I have personal experience with them - Airports I tend to point folks towards if they have a preponderance of Mac's/iDevices on, but that's based on how to manage them, not on general... the WRT1900ac is Mac friendly, and recent build has OpenVPN, which is value to some people - and it has excellent RF and storage performance... if you're not worried about 3rd party SW, this is the one to get..

I base my recommendations for the Asus/Netgear devices on community feedback here... TP-Link with their Archer series is a nice mid-range pick for some...

Can't say much about D-Link, except that I avoid them due to past B2B issues... that may have changed, but...