What's new

Which mesh wifi system to buy

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

krosswindz

Occasional Visitor
I need to set up wireless network in my in-laws house. They have a 2 floor house totaling around 6000 sq ft. The aim is that wireless can reach all over the property including the back yard where there is a casita. I was looking into using a mesh wifi system. Is there any recommendations on which one to buy. I was looking at the reviews and Netgear Orbi seems to have great performance but I am not sure if two devices would be enough to cover the property.

Which one would people recommend that I set up. I will be trying to do this over thanksgiving so I am not sure if wiring the place would be an option.

I need to set up wireless network in my in-laws house. They have a 2 floor house totaling around 6000 sq ft. The aim is that wireless can reach all over the property including the back yard where there is a casita. I was looking into using a mesh wifi system. Is there any recommendations on which one to buy. I was looking at the reviews and Netgear Orbi seems to have great performance but I am not sure if two devices would be enough to cover the property.

Which one would people recommend that I set up. I will be trying to do this over thanksgiving so I am not sure if wiring the place would be an option.
At 6000 sq feet and the outdoor requirement, it's possible none of these systems will do the job. But Orbi has the best shot at it.

At 6000 sq feet and the outdoor requirement, it's possible none of these systems will do the job. But Orbi has the best shot at it.
Thanks for your reply

Do you think Orbi has the best shot at covering all of the 6000 sq ft home? Would Eero work if I added another node? I would have bought the Orbi but I am concerned that only one satellite is used currently.

Just a note that in another thread, there is a 3 pack of the Orbi available now.

There are also the two pack versions with an additional (extra) satellite too at certain stores.

Both options above offer a three unit setup for about $500 or so. ;)

Just a note that in another thread, there is a 3 pack of the Orbi available now.

There are also the two pack versions with an additional (extra) satellite too at certain stores.

Both options above offer a three unit setup for about $500 or so. ;)

Thank you for the information. I will check Costco/Best Buy to see if I can get the three pack.

Thank you for the information. I will check Costco/Best Buy to see if I can get the three pack.
An extra satellite may do nothing to extend range. Both satellites connect only to the router, not to each other.

So doing this doesn't work.

Router -> Satellite 1 -> Satellite 2

But this will

Satellite 1 -> Router - Satellite 2

An extra satellite may do nothing to extend range. Both satellites connect only to the router, not to each other.
Please don't think of Orbi as the equivalent of eero or Luma. The comparison is not even close. My tests showed a single Orbi router and satellite delivered at least 2X the throughput when set up in the same locations.

But this will

But it's your money and I'm sure NETGEAR will appreciate the extra revenue.

Please don't think of Orbi as the equivalent of eero or Luma. The comparison is not even close. My tests showed a single Orbi router and satellite delivered at least 2X the throughput when set up in the same locations.

But this will

But it's your money and I'm sure NETGEAR will appreciate the extra revenue.

Based on the review I figured that Orbi is different from Eero or Luma. My hope is if I have two satellites then I can try to place the router towards the center of the house and place the satellites in "diametrically" opposite ends of the house to get better coverage. That would be equivalent to "Satellite 1 -> Router <- Satellite 2" if my understanding is correct.

Does adding a third Orbi satellite reduce throughput, or does it not reduce performance compared to the standard router + 1 satellite system.

Just checked the costco near me they do not have the Orbi they only have the R6900 and R7900. Would be nice to know which costco has them. Will check Best Buy later over the weekend.

Does adding a third Orbi satellite reduce throughput, or does it not reduce performance compared to the standard router + 1 satellite system.
AFAIK Orbi uses MU-MIMO so there should be no reduction in performance based on my understanding of MU-MIMO. Other SNB members would definitely be more knowledgeable about this.

AFAIK Orbi uses MU-MIMO so there should be no reduction in performance based on my understanding of MU-MIMO. Other SNB members would definitely be more knowledgeable about this.
MU-MIMO isn't a cure all. First, it works only for downlink. Second, it requires strong signal levels. It has been pointed out in another Orbi thread by someone who has two Satellites that throughput on each link was lower.

I have asked NETGEAR for details about how or whether MU-MIMO is used for the backhaul connection. No reply yet. For now, expect backhaul bandwidth to be shared between satellites. After all, both satellites are using the same four high-band channels.

If you've got the know-how and you want something a fair bit more robust, roll your own router and switching, then deploy an AP-only solution like UniFi, Open-Mesh, or even Ruckus. Just add as many APs as your site-survey demands and you're good to go. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!