What's new

Which NAS to buy

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

moosehead11

New Around Here
Hey

Looking to purchase my first NAS. Going to be using it to store media for streaming to various devices (tablets, PS3's and Smart TV's) in our home. Was wondering if someone can tell me which would be the best NAS for this

QNAP TS-212P $185
Synology DS213J $230
Thecus N2310 $140

Thanks

Edit

Also found these two the Asustor being alot more but offering a Atom processor and the ability to do transcoding

QNAP TS-220 $220
ASUSTOR AS202-TE $340

Last edited:
Suggest don't plan on video transcoding on any NAS, Atom CPU included.

Happy with my DS212

Last edited:
Thanks

Was leaning towards the TS-212P until i saw the TS-220...i am liking the hot swap option with the 220 but not sure if its worth the extra ~$30...because i think thats the only difference between the two models

Got the mentioned NAS for 2 weeks now & very happy with it. I was testing its video streaming feature miles away from home on an LTE signal on my iPhone today & it's very capable multimedia streaming device.
Of course, the speed, delay/latency, etc of the LTE connection is the constraint! Netflix-like quality needs only 1-2Mbps or so. And happily, LTE is usually much faster than that. But don't do a lot of streaming video on LTE unless someone else is paying the bill!

Hi,
I am prolly biased 'cos I have Synology DS713+ with exp. box. Right now with 4 drives.
Since I set it up, no trouble so far with good over all speed.

Thanks Everyone

Thinking that i will be going with the TS-212P

One question though can you run to single drives in this NAS? Have to 1.5TB WD Greens but i am thinking of replacing those with a 3TB WD RED for my media and keeping one of the Greens for data back up. Is that possible?