What's new

Which router(s) should I be using?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sfgueller

New Around Here
I''m hoping someone here can help me out. Recently my DD-WRT based network has been giving me some issues, and I feel it's probably time to upgrade my routers. I am currently running 3 different versions of Linksys WRT54G. When I first set this up, I read about DD-WRT, bought a couple units for cheap off eBay, and it just worked good enough.

Here is what I've got (see attached pic):

1--This is my internet source (6 meg DSL) using a D-Link ANT24 omni antenna just inside the window running at 100mw.

2--This is my house, using a single yagi (inside) pointed out the window directly at #1 (it is well over the roof of the garage) set up as a CLIENT BRIDGE running at 84mw using a cheap D-Link DI-524 to supply my house with WiFi (it does a decent job) and it's approximately 225ft from #1 with clear line of site EXCEPT for one tree in the summer.

3--Using a single 9dbi chinese omni antenna set up as a REPEATER BRIDGE running at 100mw, but its on the opposite corner of the house.

Now, I don't know if I did something wrong, but I have NEVER been able to get better than a 20% for signal quality at either 2 or 3. It normally hovers between 10% and 15%. This is OK sometimes, but lately I have been having to restart all three units a couple times a week.

Now, I'm thinking I need a MIMO router at #1 to handle 2, 3, and the WiFi at 1. Would this benefit me? I don't know the range of any of the new model routers. If not MIMO, then what would you recommend? What would you recommend for 2 and 3? There is nothing WiFi connected at 2 (again, using a separate router), and very little at 3, but I figure if I upgrade one unit, why not all 3?

I would like to have a stronger, more stable connection between the three units. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money on this either...
Please be nice. I still consider myself a noob on this stuff...

Attachments

• Network.jpg
    Network.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 550
These look like good solutions, but I would like to keep the 'all-in-one' routers like I have now, just newer ones. Is this even possible?

Tim idea is what you need to do what you doing with such a wide area you dealing with 3 homes there. What you have now has degraded and with DD-WRT in the backbone made it sooner than later.

Did you take a look at the diagram for the EH202
http://www.engeniustech.com/resources/ENH202-ApplicationDiagram_v.1.0.pdf

800mW a lot stronger than you were currently using. Each house would need just one of these inside. I take your have DSL connection.

I suggest the Outdoor AP's also, they are cheaper than modern routers using DD-WRT, and are waterproof with PoE support. You could still use your routers and keep bandwidth high by using the outdoor AP's as just bridges and not repeaters, then run the routers as AP for better coverage per house. I find devices running DD-WRT as a repeater to be unstable(Broadcom based seem more stable though). The latest firmware releases have improved, but they tend to function perfect as router, AP, or bridge and then unstable as repeater.

Even just a single Outdoor AP @1 would make a big difference. The panel antenna will probably cover both houses.

Last edited:
Me too.
An indoor router run as an AP, with coax loss to one yagi, no diversity, short-coax constrains antenna location, etc., is quite sub-optimal.
Changing router types is not the answer.
There's no substitute for a good antenna and very short coax or integral antenna.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!