What's new

Which router ??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BaGRoS

New Around Here
I am looking for a router that has a minimum of features:
- WiFi 6
- stable connection on 2.4 and 5GHz !!!
- remote management like the Asus
- parental control, although I will also do this on PiHole I have RaspberryPi 4 prepared for this.
Generally stability is the most important, stability in second place also, then remote management.
I should have a 1Gbps synchronous optical fibre link soon, so router performance quite important too.
Now I have an Asus RT-AX58U and after uploading Merlin it is worse than on the original software. Anyway, I'll set up a separate topic about this.
Any advice?

Many thanks,
BaGRoS

You could take the pi and add a couple of Ethernet adapters to it and then a switch to connect a couple of APs to it and diy things. The pi will outperform most off the shelf solutions.

Welcome to the forums @BaGRoS.

With your ISP speeds, the RT-AX86U or the better GT-AX6000 are what you should be looking at.

The RT-AX58U is a poor example of what Asus can offer. Newer firmware doesn't show any improvement in my experience (RMerlin or Stock).

Now I have an Asus RT-AX58U

This router's hardware performance is limited in software for marketing purposes. It will underperform with any available firmware. Asus manufactures a number of different router models based on the same hardware in AX3000 and AX5400 class. RT-AX58U is the basic model.

The hardware is less than stellar (i.e. to me, garbage), and the RF design of the router and ancillary parts are simply not up to 2022 standards. The post above mine is hardly based on any hands-on experience in a working network.

Here's another example.

And note that the above issues are faced with only a 100Mbps ISP connection too.

So, thank you guys for answers.
GT-AX6000 is on his way to me. Tomorrow should be in my arms.

Last edited:
THE GT-AX6000 Router is in my house, unfortunately I'm at work
But...
Worth uploading Merlin software, any significant benefits over original software?

The RT-AX58U is a poor example of what Asus can offer

Poor example ?? I can get 600mbps over wifi AC with the AX58U it covers my entire apt with full signal on 5Ghz. You need to relax and stop being a Asus fan boy shill. The AX58U may not be there top line router and it don't have the cost either. For a sub 200 dollar router it works very well.

You need to stop calling me a shill. My opinion is valid based on my experiences with that and many other Asus routers.

I've used far better Asus routers than the RT-AX58U, that was my point. Does that statement placate you better?

I'm glad you have an example that works well in your environment. It didn't in the environments I tried it in. And none of those environments were apartments.

When there are better options for very little (if any), extra money, when on sale, the RT-AX58U is an easy pass.

If you don't plan using any custom scripts or complex VPN configurations, stock Asuswrt is what you need.