Which supported router to buy with integrated modem?

damar

New Around Here
Hello,
I own a RT-AC56U and wanted to try Asuswrt-Merlin but I saw support has been discontinued (last update available dated 2018-07-25). Is there a supported model that has an integrated ADSL/VDSL modem like the AC56U and isn't too expensive?
Thanks

Treadler

Very Senior Member
Hello,
I own a RT-AC56U and wanted to try Asuswrt-Merlin but I saw support has been discontinued (last update available dated 2018-07-25). Is there a supported model that has an integrated ADSL/VDSL modem like the AC56U and isn't too expensive?
Thanks
Just these. (Scroll down if necessary).
https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/about

Zonkd

Very Senior Member
Hello,
Thanks
The chipset in your ISP provisioned modem/router will be the most guaranteed compatible/optimised for the ISPs network. Using a third party or unsupported modem can cause compatibility issues or degraded performance. I have tested and seen this before. So I wholly recommend using your ISP provisioned modem/router in bridge mode (disables routing functionality) with an ASUS RT model behind it to handle switch and routing. It’s quite easy to set up.

It’s really not worth buying a modem integrated ASUS router. Choose a normal router model that is listed as being officially fully supported by Merlin.

Treadler

Very Senior Member
Hello,
Thanks
PS. welcome to the forum.:)

elbubi

Regular Contributor
Merlin does not support any combined modem router , only RT model cable routers.
Correct!
So I wholly recommend using your ISP provisioned modem/router in bridge mode (disables routing functionality) with an ASUS RT model behind it to handle switch and routings.
Agree!

BUT...
If you still want an Asus modem/router combo, you can check this fork for DSL-AC68U
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/dsl-ac68u-asuswrt-merlin-builds-for-dsl-routers.55985/

Regards!

damar

New Around Here
I wholly recommend using your ISP provisioned modem/router in bridge mode (disables routing functionality) with an ASUS RT model behind it to handle switch and routing.
Actually I'm not using the modem provided by my ISP (Home&Life Zyxel 8825).

Mutzli

Very Senior Member
For me a separate router and modem seems just much better. If you have any issues it's much easier to diagnose it with two separate devices and if there is a technology change you can swap out either unit independently. To avoid rental fees I bought an Arris CM8200 DOCSIS 3.1 modem for $90 from ebay here and use an Asus RT-AX88U router.

QuikSilver

Very Senior Member
For me a separate router and modem seems just much better. If you have any issues it's much easier to diagnose it with two separate devices and if there is a technology change you can swap out either unit independently. To avoid rental fees I bought an Arris CM8200 DOCSIS 3.1 modem for $90 from ebay here and use an Asus RT-AX88U router.
I agree with @Mutzli , I have two units at two different locations. One behind a bridged DSL unit (ISP provided) and another behind a cable modem (own not rented).

New2This

Regular Contributor
Own my modem, Im not giving them rental fees.... I can take it with me, if I want to leave for another company. Running a TC4400 paired up with AX88U

I want to be in control- not my ISP

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!