What's new

Which supported router to buy with integrated modem?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

damar

New Around Here
Hello,
I own a RT-AC56U and wanted to try Asuswrt-Merlin but I saw support has been discontinued (last update available dated 2018-07-25). Is there a supported model that has an integrated ADSL/VDSL modem like the AC56U and isn't too expensive?
Thanks

Hello,
I own a RT-AC56U and wanted to try Asuswrt-Merlin but I saw support has been discontinued (last update available dated 2018-07-25). Is there a supported model that has an integrated ADSL/VDSL modem like the AC56U and isn't too expensive?
Thanks

The chipset in your ISP provisioned modem/router will be the most guaranteed compatible/optimised for the ISPs network. Using a third party or unsupported modem can cause compatibility issues or degraded performance. I have tested and seen this before. So I wholly recommend using your ISP provisioned modem/router in bridge mode (disables routing functionality) with an ASUS RT model behind it to handle switch and routing. It’s quite easy to set up.

It’s really not worth buying a modem integrated ASUS router. Choose a normal router model that is listed as being officially fully supported by Merlin.

Hello,
Thanks

PS. welcome to the forum.:)

Merlin does not support any combined modem router , only RT model cable routers.
Correct!
So I wholly recommend using your ISP provisioned modem/router in bridge mode (disables routing functionality) with an ASUS RT model behind it to handle switch and routings.
Agree!

BUT...
If you still want an Asus modem/router combo, you can check this fork for DSL-AC68U
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/dsl-ac68u-asuswrt-merlin-builds-for-dsl-routers.55985/

Regards!

I wholly recommend using your ISP provisioned modem/router in bridge mode (disables routing functionality) with an ASUS RT model behind it to handle switch and routing.

Actually I'm not using the modem provided by my ISP (Home&Life Zyxel 8825).

For me a separate router and modem seems just much better. If you have any issues it's much easier to diagnose it with two separate devices and if there is a technology change you can swap out either unit independently. To avoid rental fees I bought an Arris CM8200 DOCSIS 3.1 modem for $90 from ebay here and use an Asus RT-AX88U router.

For me a separate router and modem seems just much better. If you have any issues it's much easier to diagnose it with two separate devices and if there is a technology change you can swap out either unit independently. To avoid rental fees I bought an Arris CM8200 DOCSIS 3.1 modem for $90 from ebay here and use an Asus RT-AX88U router.
I agree with @Mutzli , I have two units at two different locations. One behind a bridged DSL unit (ISP provided) and another behind a cable modem (own not rented).

Own my modem, Im not giving them rental fees.... I can take it with me, if I want to leave for another company. Running a TC4400 paired up with AX88U

I want to be in control- not my ISP